I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Has anyone used SpaceOAR gel?

User
Posted 08 Jan 2019 at 10:47

I'm due to start my RT on 11th Feb, and when I was speaking to my oncologist yesterday evening I asked him about the use of SpaceOAR gel, a "spacer" which is injected between the prostate and the bowel to reduce the chance of long-term radiation damage to the bowel. He said that the hospital I'm having my treatment at (Clatterbridge Cancer Centre on the Wirral) didn't currently use it, although they were considering doing so soon. He said, though, that he thought it was a useful treatment and that he'd be happy to arrange for me to have it elsewhere if I wanted to.

I've contacted my insurance company this morning (I have private medical insurance through my work), and somewhat to my surprise they've said they'd be happy to cover the cost of the procedure, so the way is open for me to have it if I want to.

I was wondering what peoples' thoughts were on this. Has anyone had it done? How "major" a procedure is it? Any side-effects?

Any opinions would be very welcome!

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 08 Jan 2019 at 13:43

I see that this treatment is reckoned to have beneficial effects by NICE:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/IPG590/chapter/1-Recommendations

Chris

User
Posted 08 Jan 2019 at 15:01
I talked to an oncologist about it, should I have a recurrence and undergo RT, but he said as I haven’t got a prostate anymore, it’s not appropriate.

I looked it up when Matron first mentioned it early last year and it seems very good. I would definitely have one fitted/installed.

Best of luck with your RT.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 08 Jan 2019 at 19:58
Hi CC, I have booted the relevant previous post up the 'recent conversations' list for your information.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 08 Jan 2019 at 21:02
Cheers, Lyn. I definitely think I'll go for it, assuming it can be done in time for the start of my RT. My oncologist reckons the place he knows it can be done is in Northern Ireland, but that's an easy trip for me, and by the sound of it I could do it as a day trip or at most an overnight one.
User
Posted 08 Jan 2019 at 23:09

Not sure why, but I have Liverpool lurking in my memory bank as a hospital that does it? There is also a map of provision (private) here

https://www.genesiscare.com/uk/treatment/cancer/radiotherapy/space-oar-hydrogel/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 10 Jan 2019 at 18:37
I spoke to my oncologist's secretary today, and she told me that my oncologist knows of a chap in Leeds who can do the procedure, and is contacting him to try to sort it out for me. I only have a 10-day "window" between returning from holiday and starting RT, so I'm hoping it can be done during that time.

Leeds is only about an hour away from me, so that would be perfect if it can be arranged. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Chris
User
Posted 10 Jan 2019 at 18:50
Ooooh, I wonder if it is our Mr B?
User
Posted 11 Jan 2019 at 08:21
It is indeed!

Chris
User
Posted 11 Jan 2019 at 13:37
Drat. Mr B. has got back to my oncologist to say that Leeds no longer offers the treatment, because the logistical issues aren't worth the hassle for the once in a blue moon that the procedure is requested. He doesn't know anywhere nearer than London who does offer it, and it would delay my RT to search further for it, so I've decided (regretfully) to forego the procedure and just have the "normal" RT as planned. My oncologist assured me that with modern "intensity modulated" RT the risk of significant bowel damage is very low, so I'll take my chances. Obviously my highest priority is to get my cancer sorted!

Oh well...

Chris
User
Posted 11 Jan 2019 at 15:24
My oncologist here in Coventry sniffed when I mentioned SpaceOar to him, (before my prostate surgery), dismissively saying ‘We don’t offer that here’, without any further elaboration.

Well, it’s not his bowel or bladder likely to be perforated if things don’t go to plan.

I hope your treatment goes to plan, and enjoy your holiday.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 18 Jan 2019 at 00:52
I had SpaceOar treatment one month before my seed implant. I was my doctor's first patient. I had found out about Spaceoar from my own research and decided I wanted it to reduce the side effects of the radiation. Ask my doctor about it and he had also been talking to the SpaceOar people. The procedure was done in his office with a SpaceOar Rep and another Urologist selling/demoing new Ultrasound Machine. The procedure isn't that long. But hope the shots used to numb the area works better for others than me. Anyway the SpaceOar went in with no problems. Sore for a few days but not bad and could feel a little pressure on the inside for about 3 or 4 days, no pain from SpaceOar. When I had the seeds implanted the members of the team were impressed with the way the Prostate and Rectum were separated. It's been four weeks and the one thing that doesn't have pain is my rectum.

I live in the US and have Medicare HMO. I checked before treatment and it was covered. However, when the doctor billed for the SpaceOar the HMO denied payment. Doctor office has resubmitted the bill. You can watch the procedure on YouTube.

Chris the SpaceOar website has a list of doctors that perform the procedure. Maybe you can a different doctor in just inject the SpaceOar.

Johnny