I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PCA and Vit D3

User
Posted 13 Jan 2019 at 02:11

This video of a recent presentation on PCA and Vit D3 is well worth viewing.  A bit long winded at times and with references to matters well above my level of understanding but even so you'll get the gist if you stick with it until the end.

Vit D3 - PCa Presentation

Roger
User
Posted 13 Jan 2019 at 19:17

Thanks for posting this!

Pretty tedious video - starts to get interesting around the halfway mark.

Certainly suggests that something is going on (but what?!!), but probably too small a study to be reliable, and it needs long-term follow-up to see if there's a real benefit.

There's a summary here:

Vitamin D may keep low-grade prostate cancer from becoming aggressive

Interestingly, there's been 19 previous studies, mostly small, and none conclusive, and they are discussed here:

Circulating vitamin D concentration and risk of prostate cancer: a dose–response meta-analysis of prospective studies

Bruce Hollis is a participating author in three, including one from 1995; this latest (2014/15) study has yet to appear in a peer-reviewed journal so wasn't included.

Looks like it's about time someone organised a large, long term study!

Edited by member 13 Jan 2019 at 19:23  | Reason: typos

User
Posted 13 Jan 2019 at 21:27
I know of a few forum members from over a decade and a half ago who added Vit D3 into their arsenal of "weapons" to keep their PCa under control and sadly some have passed and some are still alive, in one case 15 years since diagnosis.

Admittedly all of them had treatment of one kind or another but in all cases they made drastic lifestyle and dietary changes in addition to vitamin, mineral and herbal supplements. It may have worked for some and not others but as there is no proof of the efficacy of the changes they made being beneficial, it will have to remain in the realm of being either extremely unlikely or vaguely possible!

I've stuck to my regime of changes and supplements for over a decade and added a few extras into the pot for good measure as time goes by and although I can offer no evidence, I feel the psychological benefits of my daily regime help me in some way. A bit like not stepping on the cracks in the pavement if you want to complete your journey safely.

None of us will know for sure what diet or supplement is best to help control PCa or even help prevent it in the first place, until such time, as previously stated, large scale studies over many years are carried out and I suspect by then the treatment of PCa will have moved on to a point where the condition will no longer be life threatening and the need for changes in lifestyle and dietary changes will be superfluous.

Roger
User
Posted 13 Jan 2019 at 21:38

I haven't really modified my life much, I've almost cut out dairy, but that's as much for my blood pressure as for my PCa. Hopefully my several sunny holidays each year are boosting my vit D!

The trouble with most of the 'non scientific' remedies is that it's shutting the stable door. It would have been good to know 40 years ago, but tto late now.

Having said that, I may adopt vit D during the winter months, but it's easy to overdose on them (despite what the good Dr said in the video!)

Good Health!