I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Exercise/Running

User
Posted 16 Jan 2019 at 21:02

I had the prostate removed 5weeks ago and feel great. Prior to the surgery I was an-avid runner 24miles a week, playing football, I have been walking most days and feel I could safely complete a short run?   Any guidance?

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 09:18

Good Morning,

My apologies if I have offended you I do not mean to come across as superman or anything. Prior to being diagnosed I was and still wish to be a keen sports person who plays football and runs on average around 24miles per week, so I guess not unfit. However the reality of that fitness did not prevent me from being diagnosed with Prostate Cancer that could not be ignored, I consider myself very fortunate to be where I appear to be, able to walk and do most things we all take for granted.

The severity of the surgery is not lost on me, however I do want my life back and am willing within controls to achieve this goal in bite size chunks.

I diligently do all the exercises with regards Pelvic Floor which have worked really well and have continued to read about the cans and cannots from many Prostate Cancer sights.

I am sure that your recovery will be complete and that all you wish to achieve will be done, I accepted at the very begining that my cancer was my own and would be different to my two brothers whom were diagnosed at the same time and have elected for different treatments.

Here is to new beginings!!

Onwards and Upwards!!

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 13:18

Don't know if you've seen or want to see a RARP? Here is a link to the complex and highly skilled surgery:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&t=1&v=OoIp2WDfAdE

I would think very carefully before doing too much in the way of exercise/fitness.

I had surgery in October and felt fit enough - in body and mind -  by the end of December.

I've had several short, easy cardio sessions (treadmill and bike) and i wish that i hadn't. My hip and groin started to ache and is now quite painful with a spongy swelling in my groin. A visit to the GP on Monday has required further investigation to rule out a lymphocele.

I have noticed a 'drop off' in my potency, which was going in the right direction, until i decided to exercise. i have intermittent pain around my belly button.

I feel very angry with myself. The surgeon, who did such a wonderfully skilled job at removing my prostrate, won't be best pleased if i have potentialy caused a lymphocele or some other issue.

Edited by member 17 Jan 2019 at 13:28  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Jan 2019 at 23:34
You must be due your post-op review with the surgeon in the next couple of weeks? If you are feeling great, I can't imagine s/he will tell you not to give it a go, but probably best to wait for the appointment.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jan 2019 at 23:37

I think I had the operation same time as you but I cannot even walk straight and carry a pint of milk 500 yards ,so you must be a superman for intent to have a running exercises 

All the boys and girls on here  suggested to me that this is not a sprint type this is a marathon type recovery so I'm taking easy.

as I was told by friends here (They are more experienced than me and you trust me) 

This are the words of them not mine 

"' You had a major operation ,your wounds inside of your body still fresh they had gone through your muscles to hours after hours. So take it easy "

Edited by member 16 Jan 2019 at 23:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 09:03

Good Morning Lyn,

Yes my meeting is at the begining of February, having read many of these posts and researched outcomes prior to my surgery I feared the worse with regards to recovery, in knowing myself as I do I have to temper my enthusiam with common sence and have awife also who reminds me of the facts.

Having read a few of your posts, I can say that I experienced one of the most intense orgasms of my whole life having taken your lead concerning yourself and your partner. Thank You!

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 09:18

Good Morning,

My apologies if I have offended you I do not mean to come across as superman or anything. Prior to being diagnosed I was and still wish to be a keen sports person who plays football and runs on average around 24miles per week, so I guess not unfit. However the reality of that fitness did not prevent me from being diagnosed with Prostate Cancer that could not be ignored, I consider myself very fortunate to be where I appear to be, able to walk and do most things we all take for granted.

The severity of the surgery is not lost on me, however I do want my life back and am willing within controls to achieve this goal in bite size chunks.

I diligently do all the exercises with regards Pelvic Floor which have worked really well and have continued to read about the cans and cannots from many Prostate Cancer sights.

I am sure that your recovery will be complete and that all you wish to achieve will be done, I accepted at the very begining that my cancer was my own and would be different to my two brothers whom were diagnosed at the same time and have elected for different treatments.

Here is to new beginings!!

Onwards and Upwards!!

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 13:18

Don't know if you've seen or want to see a RARP? Here is a link to the complex and highly skilled surgery:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&t=1&v=OoIp2WDfAdE

I would think very carefully before doing too much in the way of exercise/fitness.

I had surgery in October and felt fit enough - in body and mind -  by the end of December.

I've had several short, easy cardio sessions (treadmill and bike) and i wish that i hadn't. My hip and groin started to ache and is now quite painful with a spongy swelling in my groin. A visit to the GP on Monday has required further investigation to rule out a lymphocele.

I have noticed a 'drop off' in my potency, which was going in the right direction, until i decided to exercise. i have intermittent pain around my belly button.

I feel very angry with myself. The surgeon, who did such a wonderfully skilled job at removing my prostrate, won't be best pleased if i have potentialy caused a lymphocele or some other issue.

Edited by member 17 Jan 2019 at 13:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 14:06
The risk of hernia is much higher in men that have had keyhole / robotic RP
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 14:08

Thank you for taking the time and replying, I am sorry to hear about your set back and will take evrything you have said into consideration as I do not want to hinder the recovery I have made this far.

I wish you well and hope you are back to the level of recovery you were in a short space of time.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 14:29

Thanks lynere. i did read that. Not sure about my issue. The swelling appears in the morning then goes once I'm on my feet...that's when the pain starts.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 14:31

Thanks 4thought.

Lesson learned on my part. Good luck with your future recovery. 

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 21:35

Feeling great isn't the same as being healed sufficiently to stress the surgeons work and wouldn't do it even if told I could after 5 weeks.  Stitching on the sphincter seems quite a feat and it's the only thing stopping your bladder emptying.  I've read of people getting scar tissue round there and needing another operation some 6 months later.

According to my Polar watch it was 3 months before I broke into a run.  Although the stitches in the stomach seemed to be the most sensitive to stress.

However it's up to you and your doctor, we're all different and I'm not medically trained.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2019 at 14:47

Had my RP last December. I asked when I could start running again. At the post op appointment in February the surgeon was gung-ho and said start straight away, the nurse was a bit more cautious saying give it a few more weeks. I started gently jogging from March and now am comfortable running 10km. 

Do what feels right

Good Luck

User
Posted 18 Jan 2019 at 15:33

Thank you for your feedback and encouragement, I am only talking gentle runs here and not massive distances.

Hope you receovery has gone well!

Thank You 

Onwards and Upwards

User
Posted 19 Mar 2019 at 22:24

I had my prostate removed in April 2015 (aged 70) and still going strong. In July 2015 I hiked and camped from Hendaye, on the Bay Of Biscay to Banyuls Sur Mere on the Med, took 50 days. I'm still hiking and camping today. When at home I run off road, usually 5 days a week, from 3-5miles. I have never had medication and to my knowledge no other related problems as well. Good luck and go for it!

User
Posted 19 Mar 2019 at 23:08

Thank you very much for the video link

I watched it and made me to think twice and feel sick same time.

I will be more careful from now on until I fully recover. 

Cheers 

D.R

User
Posted 20 Mar 2019 at 09:05

I originally posted my enquiry back in January 2019, I had at that time commenced running building back up to my six mile runs and I am glad I did. Having spoken things through with my surgeon he saw no reason as to why I should not, the key I suppose is to be sensible.

The benefits besides health is also mental well being getting back to living and being me! I owe a debt of gartitude to my surgeon and all the medical staff at The Christie.