I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Unsure of why

User
Posted 23 Jan 2019 at 14:17

Hi my grandfather had a psa blood test done around 3 week ago h it came back hi unsure of number but he had to go for a examination of the prostate who did this and said it was enlarged and smooth however she refered him it said urgent on the form within 2 week to  urology so we have been to urology and again they examined him and said it felt firm but they want to do biopsys and a bone scan why would he have a bone scan when cancer hasnt been confirmed yet ? does it mean that  he likley has it with them arranging this before he has even had a biopsy? he hasnt had no syptoms at all

User
Posted 23 Jan 2019 at 16:03
Hopefully they are being thorough and want all the info available to stage the disease should the biopsy prove positive..

Hopefully it won't but either way it sounds like you are in good hands

User
Posted 23 Jan 2019 at 16:32

Hi, 
Although you don't know your grandfather's PSA reading, it must have been raised enough for his GP to refer him for further investigation... 
If cancer is one possibility he would have been fast tracked as a matter of course
An enlarged prostate will give a higher than 'normal' PSA reading even though it may not be cancerous..
Bone scans are routine in some hospitals...so don't read too much into that at this stage..

I would guess as Francij1 suggested it's the hospital being ahead of their game

Best Wishes
Luther

User
Posted 23 Jan 2019 at 18:03
Hi Mummy,

It would be of great help if you let us know Grandad’s age and PSA number, and any other details about his condition.

If he’s not sure he (or you, with his permission) could phone the urology department to find out what he missed.

That will help the people here to assist you with advice in the future.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2019 at 20:27

Hi he is 83 and i dont think he knows  how high psa was he is back for biopsys beginning of feb and tyey arevsending him for the bone scan aswell from what i have read on here people have usually had a mri folllowed by a biopsy so was wondering why his is diffrent 

User
Posted 23 Jan 2019 at 20:55

We can't say without knowing how high his PSA is. Sometimes the PSA is so high they know it has spread without looking at an MRI but it could simply be that he will have his MRI before or at the same time as his biopsy.

Edited by member 23 Jan 2019 at 20:56  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Jan 2019 at 21:01

Will he definatly have a mri? there has been no mention of this at all they said biopsy then mdt meeting later in the week in the morning then they said they will ring him the afternoon of the mdt meeting and said he will get a letter through post for bone scan its all very confusing 

User
Posted 23 Jan 2019 at 21:35
No, not definitely. There might be a reason why they don't think it is necessary, or he may have another medical condition that means he can't have MRI. For example, does he have a pacemaker, false knee / hip, metal plates from a bad fracture, or metal clips in his head?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Jan 2019 at 22:15

No theres no reason he cant have a mri infact he had one not long ago on his back it came out fine 

Edited by member 24 Jan 2019 at 09:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Jan 2019 at 11:33
My friend is 87 and has had PCa for five years. He has had quarterly hormone injections with daily HT tablets and suffered no side effects whatsoever. His PSA started at over 300, and dropped to under five very quickly.

He is fit as a fiddle apart from arthritis.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 13:31
He had his bone scan last week and biopsy’s today they are going to call him Friday when they have had there meeting and give him a app for next week for results his psa was 78 and then 2nd time it 111 so I’m guessing that’s why he is having a bone scan