Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Abiraterone/Zytiga just started

User
Posted 24 Jan 2019 at 22:18

Hi all,

Dad's been started on zytiga as of Monday, he was in the cancer unit of the hospital to get it where they sent him home with the stuff to get bloods done every month and a warning pack similar to when he had chemo. He was also given a thermometer to check his temperature. 

I wasn't aware of all this and wondered how other people got on with it? Does this continue for the duration of time he will be on the drug or is it just at the beginning? I'm assuming they want him to take his temperature to rule out infections etc?

Thanks 

Miffy
User
Posted 25 Jan 2019 at 01:42
He is at higher risk of infection and was probably told that he must call the team if his temperature goes over 38 degrees? Hopefully he was given steroids to take as well?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Jan 2019 at 16:45
Miffy, in my experience abiraterone was a breeze compared with chemo. No side effects. Because it is a daily dosage, there are no peaks and troughs of infection susceptibility as with chemo. The prednisolone is given in a very low dose and unlikely to be an issue. I don't recall worrying about coughs and colds. Ditto sepsis.

AC

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 11:56
Miffy , I`ve been on Abiraterone for nearly a year and also taking Prednisolone . The only adverse side effects were hot flushes which are under control by taking Provera . From what I have read and from my own experience , this is the treatment with the least adverse side effects .
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Jan 2019 at 01:42
He is at higher risk of infection and was probably told that he must call the team if his temperature goes over 38 degrees? Hopefully he was given steroids to take as well?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Jan 2019 at 08:15

Yes he was told to do that. And is also on prednisolone. I hope he can tolerate it as after reading about it, it seems like there's a lot of potential problems it could cause and we want him to have the best chance on it.

When they mention infection it says online that urine infections are most common, what does this mean for the likes of colds etc, obviously we won't risk it but is he prone to the likes of pneumonia etc if in contact with anyone who's got the cold? Is it like when having chemo and the dangers of sepsis are a risk as well? Thanks  

Miffy
User
Posted 25 Jan 2019 at 16:45
Miffy, in my experience abiraterone was a breeze compared with chemo. No side effects. Because it is a daily dosage, there are no peaks and troughs of infection susceptibility as with chemo. The prednisolone is given in a very low dose and unlikely to be an issue. I don't recall worrying about coughs and colds. Ditto sepsis.

AC

User
Posted 25 Jan 2019 at 17:24

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

AC

Thanks AC! That is so good to read and makes a lot of sense. Hopefully daddy gets on well with it too then that has perked me right up 😊 

Miffy
User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 11:56
Miffy , I`ve been on Abiraterone for nearly a year and also taking Prednisolone . The only adverse side effects were hot flushes which are under control by taking Provera . From what I have read and from my own experience , this is the treatment with the least adverse side effects .
User
Posted 08 Feb 2019 at 08:03

That's great! Dads been on them a couple of weeks and so far so good, just hope his bloods behave themselves. 

Miffy
User
Posted 07 Mar 2021 at 15:49

Hi, hope you can help. My husband is really struggling with hot sweats especially at night and has this week started provera. As yet no signs it's working do you know if it takes a while to kick in? Thanks.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2023 at 07:00

Abiraterone without a prescription - topeuro-shop.com Abiraterone immediately halted the doubling of my PSA level and has, in 3+ months, reduced the PSA from approximately 400 to 5.7! I am feeling MUCH better and functioning MUCH more normally.

Edited by member 16 Aug 2023 at 10:37  | Reason: Not specified