I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Finding holiday insurance to U. S with a terminal diagnosis

User
Posted 25 Jan 2019 at 16:42

Hi, am just finishing chemo5/6 docs. and am on 3 monthly  hormone jabs. am hoping  to go to Florida while feeling  well ( stage 4). but having ditdficulty finding insurance.Anyone help? 

User
Posted 25 Jan 2019 at 18:26
Hi Chris I'm stage 4,just finished chemo and on 3 month prostap jabs.

We're going to Florida for a fortnight in 6 weeks, I have a worldwide travel policy with Nationwide through my bank account.

I've told them I've got Advanced PC and have paid an annual supplement of £115 which I thought was pretty reasonable.

User
Posted 25 Jan 2019 at 19:15
Hi my OH also has insurance with nationwide flex plus ,it’s £13 a month for all different benefits including travel insurance.

His stats are similar to yours and he has to pay an extra £129 per year worldwide insurance.

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 26 Jan 2019 at 09:48

Hi..we are with Nationwide aswell..usuall u free travel insurance. We are off to Vietnam &  Cambodia in April and have just told them about husband's DX and we've had to pay £82 ..this is for worldwide and yearly cover. I was really happy with that.

Thanks karen

User
Posted 26 Jan 2019 at 18:02

What do you mean by terminal?  If you mean end-stage, only months to live, then Nationwide will not insure you.  If you mean incurable but being managed, then you should be able to get insurance.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 27 Jan 2019 at 01:03
That's probably why there is a problem getting insurance ... using the wrong words can cause all sorts of problems. I don't think anyone would insure a terminal patient for a trip to the US but most men with incurable PCa get cover easily.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Jan 2019 at 11:21
Another option, if you think it unlikely that any medical issues will arise directly from the cancer while you're away, is to simply exclude cancer cover from your travel insurance. Pretty much all insurers will do this for no cost.

Chris

User
Posted 27 Jan 2019 at 16:58
Assuming he isn’t actually terminally ill? It would be a huge risk to go to America with its huge medical costs if terminal as the end can come so suddenly in some cases.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Jan 2019 at 18:50
Medical costs in America can very very quickly spiral into the many hundreds of thousands of pounds. I’ve heard stories from my US PCa forum of lower income people losing houses to pay bills (and the bl**dy tories want that system here 😤)
User
Posted 27 Jan 2019 at 20:21

Hi, 

A friend of mine had a heart attack while he was on business in California. 

He rang his wife to check who she'd booked his travel insurance with and she had to admit that she'd forgotten to book any.

It turned out to be a very expensive mistake as he had to pay £48,000 for the treatment he received while he was there. 

I had similar treatment here in England when I had my heart attack and it was free because of our wonderful NHS. 

So I think this shows that none of us should take chances when it comes to travel insurance. 

Steve