Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy /Blood in Semen

User
Posted 28 Jan 2019 at 13:59

Hi all, 

My partner who is 43 recently went to his GP due blood in his semen. His GP performed a prostate exam ( which he said felt normal) and carried out a blood test. PSA 3.3 so had an MRI 11th Jan, MRI came back clear but still advised biopsy which he had last Tuesday - 22nd Jan. We have a follow up appointment this Thursday for results of biopsy. I am a little confused as we have received an additional appointment for 1st March, anyone any ideas what this could be? Doesn't say on letter just states Urology outpatient - awaiting a call back from hospital to confirm. 

Worried this is a bad sign.   

Thanks  

User
Posted 28 Jan 2019 at 15:51

I would be surprised if the results of a biopsy last week would be available this week - I had to wait six weeks for mine!

Your best bet is to phone the consultant’s secretary and ask them what’s going on.

Don’t worry unecessarily about bureaucratic incompetence!

You do seem to be getting the best investigations, however.

Best of luck, 

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 28 Jan 2019 at 15:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Jan 2019 at 07:02

SJ

It was 7 days between my biopsy and the follow up appointment to get the result of the biopsy. Five years ago it was common to have the MRI after the biospy, now it is more common to have the MRI first. A biopsy it expected to be more conclusive than the scan. Don't read too much into the additional appointment until you see your consultant on Thursday.

John,  the histology of my removed prostate took six weeks.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Jan 2019 at 15:51

I would be surprised if the results of a biopsy last week would be available this week - I had to wait six weeks for mine!

Your best bet is to phone the consultant’s secretary and ask them what’s going on.

Don’t worry unecessarily about bureaucratic incompetence!

You do seem to be getting the best investigations, however.

Best of luck, 

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 28 Jan 2019 at 15:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Jan 2019 at 07:02

SJ

It was 7 days between my biopsy and the follow up appointment to get the result of the biopsy. Five years ago it was common to have the MRI after the biospy, now it is more common to have the MRI first. A biopsy it expected to be more conclusive than the scan. Don't read too much into the additional appointment until you see your consultant on Thursday.

John,  the histology of my removed prostate took six weeks.

Thanks Chris