I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

gp my vit d levels to high

User
Posted 29 Jan 2019 at 12:38

hi,my gp told me to stop my 5000iu of vit d daily because my levels were high im surprised at that because every where you read says good things regarding vit d,and that low levels are linked to more aggresive cancer,and that those with cancer should be taking between 5000iu and 10000iu daily,there is not many foods with vit d and what there is is low,any thoughts on this please.

User
Posted 29 Jan 2019 at 15:32
RDA is about 1000ug, 4000 is the safe upper limit according to Dr Google. 5000 - 10000ug is a lot of vitamin D.
User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 07:41
Vitamin levels there are too high can have consequences that are just as damaging as levels that are too low. I really wouldn’t exceed the recommended maximum dose.

Chris

User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 09:39

Vitamin deficiency can certainly threaten your immune system, and it's linked with all kinds of problems. But the body has no easy mechanism of disposing of excessive fat-soluble vitamins, so if you overdose you are at risk of long term unpleasant side effects.

There is a safe range of blood levels for vitamins: defficiency is bad, excess is bad. Not one piece of research, ever, has even suggested that overdosing is in any way better than maintaining 'normal' levels. And if one does tomorrow (an unlikely scenario), overdosing will still bring unpleasant and possibly permanent side effects.