Israel claims cure for cancer

User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 13:20

I just hope I last long enough for something like this to become viable :(

Edited by moderator 06 Jul 2023 at 10:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 12:16

We've been down this road before.

I'm happy to wait for a peer reviewed article in a reputable journal. The simple fact that this team is promoting their work through mass media rather than the proper route for serious research says it all.

You don't need big money to get important research published - the journals would bite your arm off. The truth is that double blind peer review can be a painful experience, especially if it exposes poor methodology.

When I was an editor, I was once sent a study for potential publication: the authors had set up the study on the cheap, and there were glaring holes in the methodology. Essentially, they simply couldn't justify any of their claims. I rang the lead author to explain why we couldn't publish it. "What do you want me to change?" he asked. "it doesn't work like that", I had to tell him. Months later, I saw the study - rewritten, with a different methodology, in a 'less than reputable' journal.

Standards are high in research circles, and we should be deeply suspicious of anyone who tries to circumvent them.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 13:52
Hallelujah!

We’re all cured!
User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 16:16

The website Science-Based Medicine demolishes the claim pretty thoroughly.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/is-an-israeli-company-about-to-cure-cancer/

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 17:43

It seems they don't have the funding to pubish their findings . 

User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 18:12
Or to try it on anything other than mice
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 20:10
It’s ridiculous how the media spin these stories
User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 12:16

We've been down this road before.

I'm happy to wait for a peer reviewed article in a reputable journal. The simple fact that this team is promoting their work through mass media rather than the proper route for serious research says it all.

You don't need big money to get important research published - the journals would bite your arm off. The truth is that double blind peer review can be a painful experience, especially if it exposes poor methodology.

When I was an editor, I was once sent a study for potential publication: the authors had set up the study on the cheap, and there were glaring holes in the methodology. Essentially, they simply couldn't justify any of their claims. I rang the lead author to explain why we couldn't publish it. "What do you want me to change?" he asked. "it doesn't work like that", I had to tell him. Months later, I saw the study - rewritten, with a different methodology, in a 'less than reputable' journal.

Standards are high in research circles, and we should be deeply suspicious of anyone who tries to circumvent them.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 12:29

This article goes into a bit more depth:

‘Cancer cure’ doubted as Israeli team claims it can’t afford to publish findings

Here's a sample:
If we were a big company with a lot of funds, that would be the first thing we would do. If I have $100,000 what do I spend it on?” he asked. “Advancing the research and finding more and more targeting peptides, or doing many experiments to write an article? What would you do, if you had to choose?

It's not getting published that costs, it's "doing many experiments" - and you don't do them "to write an article", you do them to see if your ideas are safe, sound and effective.

This team may have the greatest discovery of the 21st century - but they're idiots, all the same.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 13:52
Hallelujah!

We’re all cured!
User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 16:16

The website Science-Based Medicine demolishes the claim pretty thoroughly.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/is-an-israeli-company-about-to-cure-cancer/

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 17:23
I think he is quite kindly - it looks to me like a huge scam to invoke some kind of crowdfunding response or large investment for something that isn't a) new b) progressing or c) their own work! :-(
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 20:12

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
It’s ridiculous how the media spin these stories

Headlines sell papers Pete.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 11:22

Having worked with many Israeli medical companies over the years… what can I say… often the technology and/or the company doesn't deliver. There always seems to be plenty of investment money either from private or kibbutz sources, and plenty of claims - but most firms/products disappear.