Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I’m hopeful but expecting bad news.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2019 at 20:32

Hi, 

I Am worrying a lot. I am 60. My dad had prostate cancer,  his brother died from it. My mum had breast cancer, her brother died from prostate cancer. I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate around 10 years ago. I had the expected urinary symptoms but psa was ”normal” . Because of this l have been relaxed about symptoms  - which persist  

I had psa 5.5 in November, followed by 5.7 in December, abnormal DRE Followed by MRI and TRUS biopsy. I am awaiting the results of these  

When I look at my previous PSA. in 2017 it was 3.7.

So, I am awaiting my results. I know from listening that my prostate is 27cc (I dont think that’s enlarged anymore). So i think the cause of my symptoms is likely to be nasty.  

I was due for two knee replacements this year, but I’m guessing things might change.

I think i just need to wait and see  but i would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

thank you

Chris

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 00:01

When you are worrying, which is natural, do your Pelvic Floor Exercises. Whatever your test results say, and I am hoping for the very best outcome for you, having a strong pelvic floor will help as pretty much any messing with the prostate can affect continence (I think). Doing those exercises really makes a difference and was the best advice my husband was ever given.

I am sorry you are on here but am happy that you are as it is a fabulous resource and full of wonderful people.

Wishing you all the very best,

Brandy

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 00:08

Thank you Brandy. And thanks for the pelvic floor tip. I had spine surgery nearly 20 years ago, and did my pelvic floor exercises diligently. But it was so amazingly successful that i have neglected them for a long while. I’m starting again right now. C

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 00:43
Don't cancel or postpone the knee replacements! John was diagnosed with prostate cancer & had surgery 9 years ago at the age of 50, after a recurrence he had radiotherapy & hormone treatment 2 years later and had both knees replaced last January - life has never looked brighter :-)
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 04:06
Hi Chris,

Have you had annual PSA tests and digital rectal examinations over the last ten years? If not you should have, given your family history.

Not very helpful of course. Just asking.

Best of luck, anyway.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 06:04

Thanks John. I did have annual PSA and DRE for around 3years.  But about 8 years ago the consultant changed. When I attended I was not examined, but told my PSA was fine, this was all that was needed; I didnt need annual DRE. So I was discharged. I have maintained annual PSA tests though.

Chris

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 06:10

Thank you. That’s great and it’s very encouraging for me.  C