Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Does Chemo affect PSA

User
Posted 05 Feb 2019 at 20:34

Evening,

Wonder if someone can help for a friend of mine? 

If someone is being treated with Chemo for a non Pca related issue, would/could this affect a PSA test?  Apparently no more PSA tests have been scheduled, last was about October, <2.00.

Have made a list of questions that could be asked at future consultations, so that he would at least begin to understand what is being done and why.  

But wondering if anyone here has an idea?

Treating the PCa is on hold for a few months, PSA has always been< 2.00, Gleason 3+4, T2.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2019 at 23:11
Only if the chemo was a prostate cancer-affective one such as Docetaxel or Cabazitaxel. These can make the PSA rise rather than fall though; it is the equivalent of the cancer cells screaming as they die.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Feb 2019 at 06:09

Thanks for that Lyn,

I will ask him what chemo he's having.

Logic suggests it's not as the conversation between "They" and him are all about leaving the PCa, as due to the indicators and results it's considered to be a lesser long-term threat, and planning to commence treatment for that in early summer. I'll ask to be sure.

He has not been scheduled any PSA tests since his last in about September.  

I would have thought they would continue with those just in case?

atb

dave

Edited by member 06 Feb 2019 at 06:11  | Reason: to ask about PSA tests

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2019 at 07:19

By brother had chemo for bowel cancer. His PSA dropped but no idea if thatvwas due to chemo or coincidence

Bri

User
Posted 11 Feb 2019 at 12:35
It’s here, CB
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard