I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontinence - hopefully no more pads needed!

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 14:13

Hi there,

New here, so please go easy on me!

After my Radical prostatectomy last March at Guys Cancer Centre (an outstanding facility), have had several PSA tests which to-date have all been negligible. My challenge has been how best to get to grips with managing the dreaded I word (Incontinence). I have though through the support & guidance of an excellent wellness Physio at the Shard managed in the past week or so to at last have the confidence to remove the pad for periods of time mostly at home & to-date had only a few leaks which I've managed to cope with.
Wondering how others have coped with this part of the PC side effects journey, hence my primary reason for joining the forum to-day.

Best regards,

Ealing A

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 16:21
I would just keep the pad until you are fully confident - no point stressing when it's not necessary. I know when I first returned to work after my op I used them for a while "just in case". I still get the odd leak but its just a bit of dampness if I cough or twist awkwardly but I haven't used a pad for well over 2 years..
User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 17:51

Hi Ealing, 

Welcome to the forums :)

I agree with you that Guys hospital is a great place (as hospitals go). Funnily enough, my guy had his catheter out today and has just come out of a session of Physio at the Shard. He seems to be under the impression that he will be fully continent within weeks... fingers crossed. 

I agree with Francij, keep wearing the pads as a precaution. Not wearing them would be too much like tempting fate. 

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 18:35

Many thanks francij1 & Maria-B for your messages. Much appreciated.

In response to your points, my wellness physio still expects me to wear a light pad when I am out & about / at work which I am doing. Her rationale about not wearing one at home is that it is simply the start point so if I suddenly need to go to the loo it is close by. Plus it is also part of her thinking that the more you are 'distracted' by concentrating on something other than worrying about leaks should lead over time to less reliance on the pad.                                                                                       Regarding the Shard Physio help, no doubt like other support services, they really try to get you focused on the Pelvic floor exercises, so your partner will need to ensure he keeps doing them every day!

Best wishes,

Ealing A

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 18:54

Steve was told that he should try and resist going to the toilet too often because the bladder can get used to being virtually empty and still give you the urge that you need to go. Its still very early days for him but I like the way the seem to be on top of things so early on. 

When you say the Shard, do you mean London Bridge Hospital?

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 19:07

Hi Maria-B,

Good point you make about not going too often to the loo, I was also given that advice from day 1, though it is difficult to manage, hence the 'distraction' method to help take your mind off it.

For the Shard, yes it's part of LBH's out patients department.

Best wishes,

Ealing A