Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA tests or not as other treatment ongoing

User
Posted 11 Feb 2019 at 12:22

Morning,

I can't find the original thread about this despite a good search, so please forgive the duplication.

Recap: a 67 yr old friend diagnosed with a lymphoma issue, then diagnosed with a PCa issue.  PSA always been around 1.5, no symptoms.

Decision between meds and friend to treat the lymphoma first, look to treat PCa around May.  In the meantime there are no more scheduled PSA tests, the last was about October 2018.

You asked about the treatment he's receiving for the Lymphoma?  

It's called CHOP, comprises doxorubicin vincristine cyclophosphamide infusion with a course of prednisolone steroid tablets.

Would this likely affect any PSA readings and is that why they might be on hold? I thought PSA would be taken to assist monitoring the PCA? 

Thanks in anticipation

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2019 at 13:22
I don’t think PSA readings would be affected by any of those medicines, but then I am not a pharmacologist.

What is his ‘prostate issue’?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2019 at 13:28
Prednisolone can halve the PSA although there is no data yet to clarify whether it is actually impacting on PCa progression or whether it simply creates a false low in the way that Finasteride does.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Feb 2019 at 16:30
I would hazard a guess that the prednisolone, probably at a low dose, is to ease any inflammation caused by the other drug. When I had a period on prednisolone alone, it was completely ineffective on PSA progression.

AC

User
Posted 11 Feb 2019 at 18:02
Thank you for the comments.

PCa is the issue.

So, if the PSA could be artificially halved, it makes it potentially less informative.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2019 at 19:17
Yes.

Do you know what dose he is on?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Feb 2019 at 23:11
Evening Lyn,

Sorry, I don't know the dosage. I'l try to find out later.

dave

I am the statistic.