I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate Cancer screening Method research

User
Posted 13 Feb 2019 at 12:22

It is known that there is no screening programme for PC unlike Breast, Cervical and Bowel Cancers. The PSA is indicative but can give rise to false positives. But for now, it’s all we have.

My old university offered me to attend a talk in London on a screening method that is being researched with funding, in part, from PCUK. The talk has been made available as a YouTube video. It’s not the best edited video in the world but here s the link for those who may be interested. In the Q&A afterwards it was suggested that its 5 years away from anything useful.

User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 09:29
Rather than a simple PSA reading, a screening service that took PSA twice, several months apart, would be 10 times as useful. One that took three, at even intervals, thus showing not only the rise (if any) but the rate of rise, would be 100 times better, with very few false positives. And it would still be the cheapest cancer screening service.
User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 10:06
Breast cancer screening has just as many false positives and false negatives and there is a lot of concern about the overtreatment of pussycats - more women are being encouraged to go on AS. I understand that the bowel cancer screening programme (poo sticks) is being cancelled - too unreliable.

Series testing of PSA would be a step in the right direction, as would wider availability of free-PSA testing. But basically, the screening and diagnosis of cancer is a challenge across the board, not just PCa.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 11:16

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Rather than a simple PSA reading, a screening service that took PSA twice, several months apart, would be 10 times as useful. One that took three, at even intervals, thus showing not only the rise (if any) but the rate of rise, would be 100 times better, with very few false positives. And it would still be the cheapest cancer screening service.

Hear, hear!

Cheers, John.