Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My brother too has tested positive

User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 06:07

Hello!

It's been a month and a half I had my surgery. My brother got his PSA done after my surgery and his Biopsy has come positive with the undermentioned details. We consulted my surgeon and he has suggested surgery for him as well. But, his Gleason Scores are quite low compared to mine, wondering if he needs a surgery. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

In my brothers case - I wonder why the Dr is suggesting surgery, it seems he has one score of 7 that too 3+4 all others are 3+3. Any thoughts? 

Gleason scores of:

3 + 3 = 6 (20% of core volume)

3 + 3 = 6 (10% of core volume)

3 + 3 = 6 (80% of core volume)

3 + 4 = 7 (50% of core volume)

3 + 3 = 6 (60% of core volume)

Mine was 

Gleason scores of: 

4 + 3 = 7 (60% of core volume)

4 + 3 = 7 (25% of core volume)

4 + 3 = 7 (40% of core volume)

4 + 4 = 8 (<10% of core volume)

User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 19:37
Sorry I can't help with your query VindCi so I'm "bumping" you in the hope that somebody else sees your message
We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 20:50
Best to ask surgeon why he feels surgery should be done. The position of the cancer in the Prostate may have something to do with it.
Barry
User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 20:51
Decisions can't be made purely on the Gleason score - it must also take into account where in the gland the cancer is, what % of each core was cancerous and how close to the edge the cancer appears to be in any core. The 80% core is particularly worrying.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 19:37
Sorry I can't help with your query VindCi so I'm "bumping" you in the hope that somebody else sees your message
We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 20:50
Best to ask surgeon why he feels surgery should be done. The position of the cancer in the Prostate may have something to do with it.
Barry
User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 20:51
Decisions can't be made purely on the Gleason score - it must also take into account where in the gland the cancer is, what % of each core was cancerous and how close to the edge the cancer appears to be in any core. The 80% core is particularly worrying.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Feb 2019 at 03:38

Thanks Johsan!

User
Posted 15 Feb 2019 at 03:40

Thanks very much LynEyre. Didn't understand what the volumes of each core meant in the report.

He has his PSMA Scan today, and we are seeing the doctor on Monday.

Best,

VindCi 

User
Posted 15 Feb 2019 at 18:15

VindCi,

Each sample is created by pushing a hollow needle in, and extracting it. The needle then contains a long thin cylinder of prostate material, which is checked under a microscope for cancer, and what the grade of cancer is.

The volumes basically mean how much of each sample contains cancer cells. Sometimes they also give the length in mm of the longest section of cancer cells in any sample. The position of cancer in the sample indicates where it is present in the prostate.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2019 at 10:11
There's other factors too - Is your brother older or younger than you? Does he have any symptoms? etc., etc.