I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Body Odour

User
Posted 14 Feb 2019 at 20:23

Any one experienced suddenly acquiring a strange body odour (not sweat) ??  I am 82 and have recently noticed that I have a new unusual body smell.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2019 at 00:58
Are you on any treatment for your prostate cancer VJF? Has the treatment changed recently?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 19:11
Hi Lyn,

Getting to grips with the workings of this site.

I was originally diagnosed in 2008 and received radiotherapy treatment. I have been on 6 and later 4 monthly PSA blood checks until 8th Feb 19 when I was diagnosed with a spread to bone including spine. On that date I received Androgen Blockade injections, to be followed by 4 weekly Degacilix injections and daily Bicalutamide tablets. The odour actually commenced about 2/3 weeks ago (prior to the new treatment). The only change I can think of to my life style, is that about 4/5 weeks ago, I changed my breakfast from Toast and Marmalade to Toast and Marmite. I have now (16th Feb) reverted to Marmalade - very boring routine !! - to see what happens.

Sincerely,

Vic. (VJF)

User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 19:29
One well-known side-effect of being on HT is that your masculine body odour essentially disappears. Before I started HT, after a stiff hike my shirt would smell very strongly, to put it mildly! Now I still sweat, but it's virtually odourless. I've been on bicalutamide for a little over 6 months now.

Chris

User
Posted 20 Feb 2019 at 01:10

I noticed after 13 weeks in Bicalutamide, that I hadn't been routing T-shirts to the wash following the usual sniff test for some weeks. Basically, they didn't smell 'worn' at all. I stopped using deodorant - I didn't need it anymore.
Loss of body odor must have happened some weeks before I noticed, but I don't know precisely when.

Like Chris said, I still sweat loads (I cycle), but it generates no odor in my clothes or on me.

Now, if you are noticing a *new* smell, it might be something that was always there but masked by BO, and might not even be generated by your body, but maybe by soap or washing detergents or other perfumed products.

Of course, there are some medical conditions which can generate other odors such as Ketoacidosis caused by alcoholism, lack of carbohydrates in diet, or diabetes.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2019 at 08:32
Some people with cancer gave a certain smell - there has been some research on it with dogs, I seem to recall. Certainly, I noticed that my step-father-in-law smelled 'bad' when he was ill - but it was a poorly smell not BO.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard