I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

There's always hope, right?

User
Posted 17 Feb 2019 at 18:13

My husband Bryan is 53,  he had no prior signs, or so we thought, but was  diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer that had spread to right pelvic bone and a few lymph nodes.  He was in severe pain and went thru radiation.  He since then has just finished his 6th round of chemo.  Now what?  His PSA is .01 and he is surviving the side effects of chemo.  He is scheduled for a lupron injection in 3 more weeks.  

User
Posted 17 Feb 2019 at 18:42
He will stay on HT until it stops working, which can be anything from a few months to 15 years, based on members of the forum here. When the HT starts to fail, the doctors will add other types of hormone and if h3 tolerated the chemo well, he can do that again in the future as well.

Did he have radiotherapy to the prostate bed or a short course targeted to the bone mets?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Feb 2019 at 20:34
A PSA of 0.01 indicates a really good response to the treatment. Given the results of recent studies he should ask if RT to the prostate is suitable (if he hadn't already had it).
User
Posted 17 Feb 2019 at 21:40
It says he has already had RT although it isn’t clear how much or where.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard