I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

urine incontinence

User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 10:44

Hello, this is my first post following my prostate removal in early Jan and catheter removal after 10 days. Since then I have been 100% urine incontinent with a constant dribble of pee. In 5 weeks I have not peed in the toilet.

Has any one out there had this problem and did it eventually fix itself.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 12:14

Hi sammyT

Yes i am having the exact same problem as you i too had my operation at the start of january and i too am  struggling with 100% incontinence i seem to have lost all control of my bladder i go to the tiolet and sit there for ages and nothing happens then as soon as i stand up and pull up my trousers i wet my self. i have just been for a walk with my wife and the dog and was leaking the whole tlme we were out which is very frustrating.the good news is i had a very nice and helpful incontinence nurse vist me yesterday and has given me like a external catheter which is a sheath you put on connected to a catheter bag which she says you are entitled on the nhs so I would think you could also have one it has given me a bit more confidence and i am not worrying so much about me leaking through my pads she also gave me a night bag so you can wear it to bed if you want i hope this helps and you are not the only one going through this and we will keep doing our pelvic exercises had hope things will get better

Cheers mike63

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 18:03

Guys

My surgeon was very anti using the conveen / sheath system so early, he believes it makes you lazy in your attempt to regain continence. I have used the sheath system and yes It is a life changer. I would advise you still keep doing the exercises etc. The sheaths can be a bit of a faff if you don't get the right size etc , especially if they leak. I still wear a pad even with a sheath in place. Make sure you get the adhesive release spray.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 18:28
SammyT, have you been shown how to do the pelvic floor exercises, has anyone checked that you are doing them correctly, and how often are you doing them?

And are you dry at night or not?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Mar 2019 at 14:45

S

Might be a bit early but has anyone mentioned a uro dynamics test. The test can establish whether the bits you have left are mechanically sound. I have tried the Afex system, sometimes it would work okay other times I finished up wet through, your nurse should be able to get a free starter kit. I did not like the idea of walking around with a soiled pad. We are all adults on here and can make our own decisions, I put some loo roll wrapped in a nappy liner inside my pad, if I had a small leak I would change the liner and tissue, a bigger leak would be absorbed by both, then I would change everything.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 16:26

Hi SammyT 

Yes I had a similar problem and to be honest it took about 4 months to get back to almost normal. It isn't a pleasant experience I know but it recovered in stages starting with being dry at night after about 4 weeks and then I found that sitting was OK. It took a few more weeks to be able stand up without leaking and this required a lot of muscle control while straightening up in stages. Walking took the longest to recover but I found that just trying to carry on as normal despite the leaking helped me most.

Carry on with the Kegels but for some of us the practicalities of the operation can mean that we have to relearn bladder control. I would be inclined to talk to your GP and to see if there are any incontinence services in your area that can advise you.

Kind regards

Kevan 

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 12:14

Hi sammyT

Yes i am having the exact same problem as you i too had my operation at the start of january and i too am  struggling with 100% incontinence i seem to have lost all control of my bladder i go to the tiolet and sit there for ages and nothing happens then as soon as i stand up and pull up my trousers i wet my self. i have just been for a walk with my wife and the dog and was leaking the whole tlme we were out which is very frustrating.the good news is i had a very nice and helpful incontinence nurse vist me yesterday and has given me like a external catheter which is a sheath you put on connected to a catheter bag which she says you are entitled on the nhs so I would think you could also have one it has given me a bit more confidence and i am not worrying so much about me leaking through my pads she also gave me a night bag so you can wear it to bed if you want i hope this helps and you are not the only one going through this and we will keep doing our pelvic exercises had hope things will get better

Cheers mike63

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 18:03

Guys

My surgeon was very anti using the conveen / sheath system so early, he believes it makes you lazy in your attempt to regain continence. I have used the sheath system and yes It is a life changer. I would advise you still keep doing the exercises etc. The sheaths can be a bit of a faff if you don't get the right size etc , especially if they leak. I still wear a pad even with a sheath in place. Make sure you get the adhesive release spray.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 18:28
SammyT, have you been shown how to do the pelvic floor exercises, has anyone checked that you are doing them correctly, and how often are you doing them?

And are you dry at night or not?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Mar 2019 at 11:50
Thank you all for your responses>

Your responses are reassuring although I have made no progress in 2 months. I have seen an inctontience nurse who gave me some sheaths to try out but (and this is embarrassing) my penis has retracted and even the short small ones were too big. With regard to the supply of pads, the local clinic has a a.maximum allowance of 3 pads a day.

As to the the question about being dry at night the short answer is no although I have container by the bed so every hour or so I can slide out of bed and if I am quick I can pee in the container. This does not work if I stand up after sitting down and I get surge'.

The positive news is that I no longer have cancer

User
Posted 03 Mar 2019 at 14:45

S

Might be a bit early but has anyone mentioned a uro dynamics test. The test can establish whether the bits you have left are mechanically sound. I have tried the Afex system, sometimes it would work okay other times I finished up wet through, your nurse should be able to get a free starter kit. I did not like the idea of walking around with a soiled pad. We are all adults on here and can make our own decisions, I put some loo roll wrapped in a nappy liner inside my pad, if I had a small leak I would change the liner and tissue, a bigger leak would be absorbed by both, then I would change everything.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Mar 2019 at 23:35

Good Evening SammyT

I'm not an expert same  as others when I joined here back to Last December I had zero knowledge of medical terms at all.I was a week away from getting RP surgery operation. 

Prostate was a foreign word and knowledge for me.but Thankfully Included Saint LynnAyre and Saint Cheshire Chris  & many other great guys patiently kept educated me about Prostate cancer what to do before and after the operation  etc.

I really can not advise you about Prostate illness stuff but simply all I can say is I agreed with What saint Lynn said and still you have not answered her question!

People taking times here and given you value about questions your asking for but you still have not answer them! 

Anyway..from my personal experiences please do as Saint Lynn says..never given up of kegel exercises. Download them to your phone (free) than. Do it.

I do that exercises whilst in the car,train,even walking, sitting anywhere and trust me that you don't have to be a cancer patient to do that just have a look up on you tube even the healthy people men-women doing it.also according to the media it's good for pregnant women as well.or whom wants to increase their libido-sex life etc.. 

Anyway that's all I can suggest to you at the moment. 

Trust me on this please. I used to get up until 2 months ago 5 times a night to do bathroom duties but now I sleep straight and I noticed that if I skip the exercises than I do get up!!!

Good luck 

D.R

Edited by member 04 Mar 2019 at 06:33  | Reason: Not specified