I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just worried and early days

User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 17:02

Last week I went to the doctors because I have known for some time that things were not right when I went to pee, low volume of liquid, took ages to finish, sometimes a big hurry to start. This has been a problem for a couple of years but has steadily reached the point where I thought it was about time I got things checked out.

A blood test is booked for the end of february although I understand that the test can give false negatives and positives.

In my list of symptoms that I gave to the doctor I didnt mention hip pain and lower back aches, which i have read today could be a sign of advanced prostate cancer. I simply thought that they were aches and pains that I should be expecting at my age.

I am holding on to the hope that these symptons are just those of an enlarged prostate and not cancer although, if I am being honest, I have all of the advertised symptoms of prostate cancer.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 17:33
You need to get it checked out,. End of Feb sounds a long time for a simple blood test. Can't your GP so an exam and early blood test??
User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 17:43

Correct , an early blood test and go from there , please dont jump to conclusions, and dont go searching on internet  . just use this site , there could be several reasons for your symptoms . pc is a way off yet 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 18:00
Fingers well and truly crossed, thanks for your support guys.
User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 12:36
Hi, I thought I would give you an update but firstly a word of thanks for the support and encouragement, really appreciated.

I had the blood test and was given the results last week, such a relief to be told, ALL CLEAR.

I then had an examination, which I was dreading but the doc was great, took control over the whole situation (no pun intended) and it was nothing, I have had more pain and discomfort from bicycle seats.

The results of the examination backed up the blood test results.

Started on a course of Contiflo and was told I would need to wait around a month for an improvement although the urgency to get to the loo in a big hurry has gone already.

Once again thank you for your advice, and also the helpline was brilliant, reassuring and clear, everything I could have asked for.

User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 15:36

Well, very good news for you.

I guess around nine out of ten visitors here fear the worst, and maybe one of those is given the ‘all-clear’ like you. Most go on for further testing or observation, where they may or may not be confirmed to have PCa. So happy days. I hope you get your urinary problem sorted soon.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 10 Mar 2019 at 15:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 21:31
Good that you have been told you are 'Clear' which I take it means your GP got the impression from a DRE that your Prostate was normal for a man of your age and that your PSA level likewise. I suggest you note what your PSA figure was and if the Tamsulosin Hydrochloride prescribed does not help and symptoms persist you could ask for another PSA test in due course to check whether your PSA has significantly increased.

You should be aware that at your age men have a slightly greater chance of Prostate Cancer than not having it and the longer a man lives his chance of having PCa increase, although in the vast majority of men they die of something else, many not even knowing that they had PCa.
Barry
User
Posted 11 Mar 2019 at 08:31
Mm If you have only had the GP give you the "all clear" make sure you have that follow up test, and if your symptoms persist I would insist on an MRI too.
I got the "all clear" several times form my GP and by the time it was treated I had s T3A.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2019 at 12:41
Appreciate your advice guys that there may be some dark clouds ahead but as of today the sun is shining on my parade and I am going to enjoy it.