Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy after chemo

User
Posted 20 Feb 2019 at 14:24

hello everyone, 

just back from onocologist with dad, after orginally saying it would be chemo and hormone therapy they have now offered radiotherapy after chemo just wondering if anyone else has had this? and also if any could give a rough idea of how many session would be to start with? 

thanks A x 

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 10:12

Hi,

My husband is having the same. Had his first chemo last Friday and the plan is for radiotherapy approximately 1 month after its finished, just to give him a break in between.

They plan 37 sessions so will be almost a year by the time that's all done.

Some good data from the Stampede trial using radiotherapy when there are limited mets if you want to look it up x

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 13:14
I'm having the same treatment, prostap jabs every 3 months, chemo (docataxel) Oct-Jan 6 sessions. 2 month break then 20 EBRT sessions March/April to blast the mothership.

John
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 09:27

Just bumping  you up the list. 

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 10:00

Is it to treat his bone Mets (that will be just 1 or 2 sessions) or his prostate (possibly 20 sessions)

Assuming it's his prostate this is possibly a new development following research that indicates a benefit in men with a limited number of metastasis.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2019 at 10:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 10:12

Hi,

My husband is having the same. Had his first chemo last Friday and the plan is for radiotherapy approximately 1 month after its finished, just to give him a break in between.

They plan 37 sessions so will be almost a year by the time that's all done.

Some good data from the Stampede trial using radiotherapy when there are limited mets if you want to look it up x

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 13:14
I'm having the same treatment, prostap jabs every 3 months, chemo (docataxel) Oct-Jan 6 sessions. 2 month break then 20 EBRT sessions March/April to blast the mothership.

John
User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 15:32

I had docetaxl then 6 sessions of radiotherapy to the prostate as i had no bone spread. that was 3.5 years ago and it was not normal to have early chemo or RT however my onco at the time said ” there is some evidence that blasting the mother ship even after spread may delay things”. since then there is better evidence that he did the right thing ( i am very grateful).

kev 

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 17:25

Hey is having both, he is having radiotherapy to a met in his spine before chemo, that will be over 5 days . he is then to have radiotherapy to the prostate after chemo. 

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 17:26

Hey john you sound like you are on a very similar treatment plan as my dad