I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diagnosed confused

User
Posted 20 Feb 2019 at 15:03

My grandfather has been diagonsed today with a gleason score of 6 no spread to bones out of 12 samples only one had cancer in it but doctor says hes suspicous that with a psa of 110 and has ordered a mri and another psa if they find more cancer will the grade still stay the same ? nurse said it would but what why woukd he have a mri if prostate if thr grading will stay the same its all very confusing 

User
Posted 20 Feb 2019 at 16:25
Hi Mummy,

How old is Grandad?

The TRUS biopsy he had is very inaccurate, but at least the cancer it did find is very low-grade and less aggressive. They can never tell the true grading of the cancer until the prostate has been removed in-toto and biopsied, which is probably not appropriate in his case.

I am sure Gramps is in good hands and will enjoy a positive outcome in the end, so don’t worry too much.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2019 at 16:33
A TRUS biopsy is not inaccurate Bollinge!! It just doesn't access a very large sample of the prostate.

You will need the MRI to truly understand the staging. The Gleason grade won't change unless he has further biopsies or a prostatectomy.

It's very good news the bone scan is clear

User
Posted 20 Feb 2019 at 18:41

The grade and the staging are different things. A Gleason 6 stays a Gleason 6 even if it is found to have spread. It may be that there are other prostate tumours that if tested would be a higher Gleason but it seems that your urologist's main concern is that the staging may be higher than first thought.

This link explains Gleason and staging better than any of us can
https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/prostate-tests/scans-and-tnm-staging 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Feb 2019 at 20:35

He is 83

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 01:24

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
A TRUS biopsy is not inaccurate Bollinge!! It just doesn't access a very large sample of the prostate.

Point taken. Imprecise would be a better word.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 07:47

Just reading your post and my advice is don't stress over this, my dad has prostate cancer he is 86 and gets a injection every month to keep it in check, prostate cancer is generally slow growing and your grandad will have many years in front of him and the prostate cancer should not be a issue. I have prostate cancer and because I am only 62 and it was locally advanced I had a prostatectomy, if I had been diagnosed with this at 83 I would not have been concerned at all. 

I hope this is helpful.