Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

High PSA on Finasteride

User
Posted 20 Feb 2019 at 19:57

Looking for advice, reassurance maybe? 

I am 76 and just been given a blood test psa reading of 3.88 which because I have been on Finasteride (and Tamsulusin) for over 10 years, I understand should be at least doubled. This means 7.76 in UK but 2.5 times in US which would mean 9.70. 

I was discharged from the Urology clinic just over a year ago with a psa of 1.75 (3.50 with Finasteride). I was also told after a biometric MRI that I had little chance of cancer. I was also told they look for as an indication of cancer when PSA doubles fairly quickly, which in my case it seems to have done.

I also read that those on Finasteride who are diagnosed with cancer that it is usually more aggressive. I have other medical issues, so naturally I am worried. I also suffer from spells of extreme tirdeness during day and evening. Any advice appreciated.  Big thank you in advance.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 01:00
Tamsulosin has no impact on PSA although as you are aware, taking finasteride means you need to double the reading to get a true level. Although your rise is quite sharp in only 12 months, it is unlikely that cancer would have developed so suddenly after a clear biometric MRI last year.

The clue may be in the reason that you have needed finasteride for so long - do you have an enlarged prostate? Do you have trouble voiding properly which in turn makes you susceptible to UTIs which will also raise your PSA level?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 01:02
PS not sure where you are getting the 2.5 x from?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 04:11
Thank you Lyn for your reply - you do seem to know the subject well. Yes I do have a super enlarged prostate which is the reason for taking Finasteride for so long. And why my PSA has been regularly monitored.

However, I didnt add that whilst the MRI report of June last year stated that the probability of cancer was very low it could not rule out 'low grade cancer'.

What made me panic was that I had read that Finasteride could turn a low grade cancer into an aggressive form.

Plus my PSA had jumped from 1.75 (3.50 with Finasteride x2) to 3.88 (7.76 with Finasteride x2). So it has more than doubled in eight months and that, I believe, is not good.

The 2.5 is the calculation level for a man on Finasteride for more than seven years as given by John Hopkins Brady Urological Institute 'Top prostate Cancer Questions', which of course - if I used would bring my PSA level up even further.

I would be most grateful for your comments. Best wishes.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 08:15
If finasteride made prostate cancer more aggressive, there wouldn’t be so many men on this forum who take it at their urologist’s advice.

I think the data you have looked at was distorted - men on finasteride are diagnosed later because a) too many GPs don’t know that you need to double the PSA level and b) taking the stuff actually masks the symptoms. So it isn’t the tablets that make cancer aggressive, it’s that they don’t get diagnosed until later when it is more advanced.

I think you could see what the next test shows and then perhaps ask for a re-referral but it is most likely an underlying an infection

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 09:26
Thanks again for replying and trying to put things into perspective.Your explanation sounds logical and eases my mind. It does serve to emphasise that GPs may need some direction on the effects of Finasteride. In fact I had to keep stressing that although my blood test showed up PSA as 'normal' it was in fact twice that level. She did take some convincing.

However, As my level is 7.76 (or 9.70 if I take the John Hopkins Institute guide of multiplying by 2.5), what do yiu think I should do next?

When do I go back to GP for another test, bearing in mind my present blood test has just been taken? How do they test for a UTI?

Best wishes

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 17:22
Donald, in the first instance a simple dip test with a urine sample. If one shows up you may need some experimentation to find the right anti-biotic. If you are lucky, seven days later you are clear. If unlucky it may take two or three cycles or the growing of a culture first to identify the precise bug.

AC

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 20:59
Thanks Auld Codger, But infection has now been ruled out via GP tests. Now left with a PSA of 7.76 (including Finasteride).

GP has sent off an email to Prostate Clinic. The last correspondence with clinic was in June last year when they said to be back in tiuch should my PSA go over 6. Nothing much I can do but wait to hear from the clinic. Having had various readings overs the past 10 years (I have a really large prostate), I would not be too concerned but the consultant told me last time that they take particular notice of levels whiuch have doubled in a fairly short time (It seems mine have).

Now is the time for me to learn some mind control! As Buddhist philosophy states: "If you can do something abiut a problem - why worry? If yiu cant do anything about a problem - why worry?" After all, worry is just another problem!. (Essier said than done, of course).

Best wishes to all.

User
Posted 01 May 2022 at 17:16

if finasteride is the same medication which is used for curing Hair Loss and prostrate enlargements in men .. 

I have taken this medication a year before for Curing hair loss problem at that time I had no urinary  and prostrate problem including enlargements