I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Modified Citrus Pectin (MCP) - what dose?

User
Posted 20 Feb 2019 at 22:06

I put myself on MCP quite soon after diagnosis, having read about it on PCUK's website, and then having searched out scientific papers on it. (MCP has been shown to block the receptors on bone marrow cells which prostate cells bind to in experiments on mice.)

I searched around and found a paper suggesting that 5g/day was enough to block all the bone marrow receptors in a human. (I unfortunately failed to save a link, and only the abstract was visible anyway.) Not knowing the half-life, I've been taking 2 x 2.5g per day. I also found some comments that doses up to 15g/day appeared to be well tolerated and no upper limit was known, so I doubled up my 5g/day to 10g/day during a template biopsy and for a couple of weeks afterwards, on the basis the biopsy might release more cancel cells into the blood (although I found another paper saying there was no evidence of biopsies causing any extra metastasis).

Just wondering what others self-medicating MCP take as a dose?

When I went in for the pre-op meeting a couple of weeks before the biopsy, one of the questions is about any self-medicating, and the default response is to stop doing so at that point until after the op. I said I wasn't happy to do that - I specifically wanted to take this throughout the biopsy. The nurse went off for a while to chat with a pharmacist, and eventually came back saying he'd given permission for me to continue taking it through the op. (She was surprised - that's not the response she normally gets when people want to continue self-medicating through an operation.)

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 01:08
It's another snake oil, peddled by cynical organisations out to make a profit from desperate people. The original studies were in 2010/11 and went nowhere. The fact that 'alternative' health sites promote it is warning enough for most people.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 09:41
yeah its hard to know if it does anygood,but i have been taking 15g a day for 3 yrs,it makes me feel as though im doing something to help myself,makes me feel a bit better.
User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 17:17
It is not hard to know if a placebo does any good. Even more so with snake pool which has been tested only on mice! Far better to adopt a good balanced diet and regular exercise. Then you really do know that you are doing yourself some good. You may even regain a normal weight....

AC