I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Waiting... still

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 13:59

I'm now waiting for my biopsy results. It was two weeks ago that I had the biopsies taken and I was sent what appears to be a standard follow up appointment for 5 weeks time. It was great to get a letter so swiftly, but not great to have to wait in total 6 weeks for the results. 

How long does it usually take in this situation from when biopsies have been taken  until a person has been informed of the results?

Many thanks, 

Chris. 

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 15:00

C

My DX was five years ago but from biopsy to meeting with the consultant was 7 days.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 15:13
It may be automated - follow up appointment routinely set for 6-7 weeks after the biopsy and then brought forward if necessary once the multi-disciplinary team has had chance to look at the results. In most areas the MDT meets once each week.

Things tended to be different in the past - you had a biopsy and if it was positive, you soon knew about it because you would get a letter in the post inviting you for an MRI scan, bone scans or whatever the urologist thought necessary. Since you have had your MRI already, that removes a bit of the imperative.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 19:36

Thank you Lyn, that makes perfect sense to me. 

Cheers 

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 19:38

I found the waiting hard, as do many, the length of wait varies but rarely is there any need for urgency ( from a medical standpoint). 

Spend the waiting time doing some research so you will be ready with the right questions when the time comes.

I waited four weeks for my biopsy results.

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 01:30
You might like to phone your consultant’s secretary to enquire about the timescale for biopsy results in your area.

I waited six weeks for my post-op biopsy results, and the final report showed my prostate had been languishing in a freezer for four weeks before it was even looked at! They said the pathology department was short-staffed.

Cheers, John.