I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pneumonia while on abiraterone

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 17:55

Dad got out of hospital at the start of the week where he was being treated for pneumonia. They have deferred his abiraterone for one week so he can get over this and will begin again on Monday. They upped his dose of morphine and hes now finding it's making him tired through the day.

The hospital has sent for him for a chest xray in April. Do we think this is maybe to compare and keep an eye on him? They had done one when he was in hospital last week and not mentioned any new disease other than progression of that in one of the ribs. Should we be worried or glad that they are checking up on him?

Thanks 

Miffy
User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 20:07
Abiraterone is a form of chemotherapy and men taking it are at increased risk from infections. Perhaps the x-ray in April is to confirm that his lungs are fully recovered from the pneumonia?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 20:14

I really hope this doesn't affect his chances of staying on the abi. One month in and already he got the infection. Is it not a bit late to wait to see if its cleared if they're starting the abi again on Monday? I have so many questions and no clue to the answers. Thank you for your reply. 

Miffy
User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 21:28
I don’t think abi could have caused the pneumonia - he presumably got some kind of infection which then developed into pneumonia.

I can’t see how the need to check his lungs are recovering would affect his abi - oncology apparently have reason to believe that he is well enough to have treatment. But it would be remiss of the respiratory team not to check that he is recovering, regardless of what his oncology team are doing.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 21:31

Ah I see, so it's not necessarily been the treatment that's caused him to pick up the infection. Yes they seem to be wanting to go ahead with the second month so that's good. Thanks a lot. 

Miffy
User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 01:36
Is he on the immuno-suppressant corticosteroid Prednisolone in conjunction with Abiraterone? That leaves you more prone to infections.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 03:00
He will be; I don’t think you can have one without the other.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 09:55

Yes he is indeed, so this wont be helping either then? 

Miffy
User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 10:25
Abiraterone increases the risk of infection because you take prednisone with it. It is the treatment regime, not the individual components that matters.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 11:15
Prednisolone is an immuno-suppressant which lowers the body’s reaction to outside interferences such Abiraterone. An unfortunate side-effect of that is the immune system is compromised and thus is more prone to various infections.

When I was on it (for a form of eczema) I was told ‘Avoid children with chicken pox’.

Cheers, John.