Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<123

Blood in semen after biopsy

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 07:24
Not that I am aware. My results came back negative which was great. I haven’t been doing anything strenuous at all so it is a mystery to me.
User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 07:25
Not that I am aware. My results came back negative which was great. I haven’t been doing anything strenuous at all so it is a mystery to me.
User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 08:15

Good to hear about the results.

It might be worth checking your blood pressure.

If it keeps happening, you should probably contact the hospital.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2023 at 02:59
Thanks everyone on this thread for all the information. The bumf the hospital gives you is dreadfully lacking in that regard.

Been through the procedures after a PSA test of 5.7. Urine test, MRI scan, then 12 days ago a Trans-Perineal Biopsy. Get my results in a week.

I'd googled for info on the expected colour of semen at this stage after the procedure and thankfully found this thread.

For reference I started masturbating after approximately 3 days once discomfort in that area had abated. My first came out like tomato sauce (ketchup) as other people had noted. It is currently still a very dark reddy brown that I don't think I've seen on any Dulux colour chart, though I expect Farrow and Ball probably do it :)

User
Posted 11 Jul 2023 at 07:15

To me this is either incompetence or neglect. Surely the professionals ought to be aware that at time when a man is feeling vulnerable and anxious the last thing they need is a shock like seeing their semen coloured red, green or brown. They also need to make men aware of catheter care after a prostectomy, I certainly wasn't.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2023 at 07:38

On support lines, I've had 2 calls from men who didn't ejaculate for months, by which time their semen was black. Not had a call for green semen yet though.

Also very common to be sent home with a catheter and a package with a weeks supply of parts (but not told what that is), and no instructions whatsoever, either what to do with the bits supplied, or where to get any more.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2023 at 08:26

Probably changed now but nine years ago our hospital arranged an appointment with the continence nurse. She went through catheter care and hygiene, she also organised 120 tena2 pads to be delivered before surgery. 

Catheter info on discharge is not always good.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 11 Jul 2023 at 10:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
... I don't think I've seen on any Dulux colour chart, though I expect Farrow and Ball probably do it :)

It's going to take a long time to redecorate the living room though.

Dave

User
Posted 30 Jul 2023 at 23:49

Thanks all for the useful information.
I too was floored by how bad the semen looked after the biopsy.
Yeah I'd read the warnings that there will be "some" blood in semen for quite a few weeks afterwards. But it doesn't in anyway quite prepare you for the reality.
Blood in my urine took about a week to sort itself, but was quite clear after a few days.
My wife decided to check my semen 3 days after the biopsy. Whilst I didn't object :).....the result was a pretty damn quick way of eradicating the erection I can tell you!
I saw the look of horror on her face, and bless her, she quickly tried to hide the semen and spare my concern.
Had I even seen a spot of blood in my urine or semen before this I would have gone wobbly at the knees, but thankfully this time I was a little prepared.
3 days might have been too soon though to avoid the throbbing of my undercarriage and rear end afterward, but hey ho.

Edited by member 30 Jul 2023 at 23:55  | Reason: Spelling Mistake

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 13:53

It is currently still a very dark reddy brown that I don't think I've seen on any Dulux colour chart, though I expect Farrow and Ball probably do it :)

I think it's called "Transperinial Russet" 😉

Edited by member 31 Jul 2023 at 13:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 09:22

Morning gents,

I want to thank you guys for the information in this here thread…….i found this after having a shot at masturbation this morning. I had a TPB yesterday on the morning (not something  I would like to repeat 🤦🏼‍♂️ But I’m a Gwendolyn like that) the nurse who saw me was awesome and gave a lot of information I was lacking up to that point. He did explain about blood in the urine and in my semen….,but he also said it’d be rose coloured……well, I can confirm it wasn’t freaking rose coloured……unless he meant crimson like I’d been shot….I won’t lie it scared the crap out of me hence looking around the net for answers.

im not afraid to admit I’ve been bawling my eyes out whilst looking as I was scared so much…..and I still have to admit to the missus how I found out…..not that I should be embarrassed but……I am.

and all of this was picked up from a routine blood test to find out why I’m getting so many chest infections after covid…..oh and if anyone has to have contrast with an mri, see if they can’t test you first? I went into anaphylaxis and it all got a bit tricky hah!

I’ve got two weeks till the results come back so fingers crossed

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 19:16

im not afraid to admit I’ve been bawling my eyes out whilst looking as I was scared so much…..and I still have to admit to the missus how I found out…..not that I should be embarrassed but……I am.

I let my wife know that I was told this needed to be done to ensure that it was cleared out over the course of the first week or so... 😉

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 19:54

Heh, we had a chat when she came home from work and I explained what had happened, she knew I was going to at some point she didn’t realise I was gonna try so soon hah……but I did say the more I do it the best chance I have of “flushing” things out…so 🤷‍♂️

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 20:34
I told mine right after the op and told her I had to do it alone to save her from the horror show. She just rolled her eyes and said 'whatever' - but she was fine with it after I explained what came out LOL
User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 08:11

Hi what a relief to find this forum its reassuring to know I am not alone in this journey.

My psa has been monitored for 13 yrs with results between 2 to 15 and also had a TRUS 2010 with benign result. 

Had 33 samples taken from a transperienal biopsy 3 weeks ago (psa 15) followed by catheter insertion-bladder irrigation then sent home with catheter for 10 days. Since then blood in urine, bladder pain and burning on urination after catheter removed, very slow urine flow. Currently dealing with a uti on antibiotics urine clear pain / burning reducing.

Benign result which is a relief!

Havent been inclined to test semen output until yesterday. On ejaculated no semen at all! 

Is this normal?

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 08:49
I think my first time was almost non-existant - try again daily and if nothing by Monday/Tuesday then give your GP a call - it could be a blockage or clot in the pipework.
User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 21:39

Is it better to release the bloody semen or is it safe to hold it in? 

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 23:28

The body does a good job of absorbing blood which becomes scabs. However, it doesn't always manage to do it all if there's a lot in one place. The iron oxide from the hemoglobin cells is released when the cells break down and changes to a different oxide (bright red to rusty brown), which is literally rust. This is magnetic and if significant amounts remain, it interferes with any future MRI scans, reducing the detail which can be seen of the prostate around the rusty areas.

So, it's a good idea to get it out if you can, but don't bust a nut over it...

After a few days, it should have gone rusty colour. If you are still seeing bright red blood, that suggests new bleeding and maybe you're overdoing things.

WIth my first TRUS biopsy, on the way out I asked the urologist how long to wait before ejaculating, and he said, "don't wait". Well, I decided to wait until I got home at least😀, and then nearly 24h because I thought it might be painful, which it wasn't. It took 3 weeks to get it all flushed out.

My second biopsy was a template biopsy under general anesthetic. I'd been on Bicalutamide for 10 weeks by then and had very little semen as a consequence, and this meant I couldn't flush out the blood. About 3 months later I had a full body MRI scan (looking for mets). I got to speak with the radiologist who analysed the scan, and one of the questions I asked was that prostate cancer was supposedly hard ot see on MRI, but I had a bright white area in my prostate. Answer was that's not cancer, but an area of iron oxide left from bleeding, and as it's magnetic, it shows very brightly on an MRI scan.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 00:33

I had a biopsy 2 weeks ago and 1 week after I ejaculated blood, today I ejaculated and my semen was clear so I guess it depends on the person? 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 08:15

Was diagnosed with a right anterior prostate tumor at the extreme apex of the gland measuring 1.4 x 1.2 x 1 cm. At least a Gleason VII malignancy surrounding the urethral sphincter by 180 degrees. 

Following last week's targeted transrectal biopsy i was really concerned with the colur uf the sperm. So THANK YOU ALL for setting my mind to rest. 

Was just wondering whether ejaculation of semen with blood could spread cancer cells to other parts of body.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2023 at 16:46

Hi. Thank you to this forum and all who have posted here! My husband had a transrectal biopsy on 10/5 (results on the 12th). We were told, like all of you, to expect "some" blood in the urine, stool and semen. We were told to avoid sexual activity for 48 hours, so on the 8th I helped my husband (he wanted intercourse, I said no) and was shocked and horrified at what came out of his penis. I was completely unprepared. Like others described it, it looked like ketchup. Again last night, same thing. So having not been told the extent nor the color to expect, I called his urologist this morning and started searching online. I'm so glad to have found this and hope you do not mind a wife posting her relief at finding it is normal. And just so you know, the US is similarly deficient at describing what to expect post biopsy!

I know I can't speak for all partners, but I do think a condom for the first few to several weeks would be much appreciated to keep things more hygenic.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2023 at 17:09

Was just wondering whether ejaculation of semen with blood could spread cancer cells to other parts of body.

I've never heard of any suggestion of this. Your cancer is not infectious to anyone else either, unless they are severely immunocompromised or on immunosuppressant drugs for organ transplant.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2023 at 17:27

LadyS, also bear in mind the colour will probably change over a period of time to pink and then possibly dark brown. My semen also got quite watery.

Hope all goes well and partners always welcome.

Thanks Chris