Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in semen after biopsy.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2022 at 03:37

Hi. 

To start.. blood proper freaks me out. I really don’t like it, not that many do I guess. 

Anyway had a negative biopsy three years ago and ejaculating blood a couple of weeks after the procedure wasn’t good for me. Obviously after a time it all went away and all was clear. 

Fast forward to now and I’ve just had another biopsy last week, seeing blood in my urine was unpleasant to the extent that I couldn’t look and had to sit down whilst weeing! Now I’m worried about blood in semen again, if I was to not ejaculate for a few weeks would this lessen the blood or is it a case of go for it and get rid over a shorter time by doing it more? I know it sounds mad but I had to buy coloured condoms last time as I can’t look at it! Crazy but hey. 

thanks guys. 

User
Posted 01 Jul 2022 at 06:14

Buy some more coloured condoms...

Your body will breakdown and clean up some leaked blood by itself, but it won't completely clear a large amount of blood.

After a few days, the red blood cells break down, releasing their hemoglobin, and the iron in the hemoglobin which is usually red will literally go rusty, so the semen will go brown. (Maybe that won't freak you out as much, not being red?) If left, the iron oxide will remain, and being magnetic, it will show on future MRI scans and may degrade the image quality of the prostate. Also, on the Tackle helpline, I've had a couple of cases where guys left it months before ejaculating and found their semen was black by then, which scared them even more.

When I asked the urologist who'd just done my biopsy how long I should wait before ejaculating, he said "don't wait".

By the way, there's a whole thread on this...
https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/m265709-Blood-in-semen-after-biopsy

Edited by member 01 Jul 2022 at 06:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2022 at 07:44

Thank you for the reply.  Makes sense. Yeah brown won’t bother me as much I hope. Need to get back on the saddle 😊

User
Posted 13 Aug 2022 at 22:05
I had 3 biopsies, and always got blood in my semen after. It will settle down but may take up to a couple of months. I used to relate it to a visit to the ice cream van...first weeks it's raspberry sauce, a few weeks later it's chocolate sauce, then after that it's caramel sauce. Eventually this fades back to normality. That first coupe of times you see that bright red it does scare the s**t out of you. But please don't worry, it will clear up. Good luck
User
Posted 24 Aug 2022 at 09:09

Hello all,

This is Sophie from the Health Information Team. would it be alright if I used some of the things you have written in our health information? Things like using coloured condoms if you don't want to see the blood, your descriptions of what semen looks like after a biopsy, what the urologist said about not waiting to ejaculate etc. I think it would help to reassure men that what they are seeing is normal. The descriptions would be in the form of anonymous quotes and may be paraphrased to make it shorter or easier to understand e.g.

"I used to think of it as a visit to the ice cream van...first weeks it's raspberry sauce, a few weeks later it's chocolate sauce, then after that it's caramel sauce. Eventually it went back to normal." A personal experience.

Thanks,

Sophie