I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Good Outcome

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 17:09

I have now discussed my histology report with my surgeon following my RARP. The cancer was entirely confined to the prostate with no evidence of spread to lymph nodes (9 removed) or surrounding tissues. The Gleason score was amended to 3.4 from 4.3 on the right side and 3.3 on the left. My PSA is undetectable. In the surgeons words the surgery “ achieved everything which it was intended to achieve” and when I asked what the chances of a reoccurrence were he replied “very vey low” based upon my circumstances. Whilst he clearly could not confirm a cure and whilst there is always the prospect of the cancer coming back, the result is I think about as good as I could reasonably have hoped for. My continence is about 98% back and there is even some movement on the ED front, although still a long way to go with that. When I was diagnosed with PCa in November I felt that my life was virtually over and despite the invaluable support from this site, it was still hard to be optimistic despite the indications that the cancer was contained and the treatment was intended to be curative. I hope that my apparently successful treatment will provide some hope and comfort to those recently diagnosed with localised disease. Whilst there will always be uncertainty, especially for the next two years ( I understand that if the cancer is going to return it is likely to be within 2 years), I am now at least feeling a lot more positive and relaxed. For those of you with localised cancer, a good outcome is a real possibility.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 18:53
That's excellent news. Thanks for sharing it.

Chris

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 18:57

Thanks for the very positive update. Great news.

Ido4

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 19:31
Brilliant
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 19:45

I'm really pleased for you. The best news you could have.

Ann

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 20:16

Z

Great news, as regards recurrence I know someone who had open surgery and no other treatment, he went 17 years before a slight rise in his PSA, now nineteen years post op he is still below the 0.2 threshold. Best wishes.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 09:07
Good news Zenulon. Im two years down the road and psa still undetectable. I hope you'll be the same.

Good luck

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 10:17

Good luck ,ex news to share with everyone ! 

User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 11:30
Good news for you Zebulon, very good.

To be 98% continent so soon, and to have stirrings is excellent progress.

I wasn't aware that recurrence would most likely occur in the 24 months post surgery. I'm pleased to read that.

Have a great weekend.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 11:35
That's why PSA testing starts at 3 monthly followed by 6 monthly intervals - if it stays undetectable at 2 years, most uros are happy for the man to go to annual PSA testing from 2 years on. NHS takes a slightly different view - 5 years - and it is only when you have had undetectable PSA for 10 years that you are deemed 'in full remission' although my dad's PCa recurred at 13 years.

You never really get to a point where it is certain not to come back.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard