Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Will radiotherapy stop psa rising.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 21:42

Hello, 

I was told that a psa of point 13 is micrscopic  and would not be seen by mri or cat scan. 

I wondered how they  would be able to target the area with radiotherapy. 

Thanks

Graham

User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 00:47
Salvage radiotherapy is targeted at the whole of the prostate bed. Depending on your post-op pathology, they might vary it to concentrate a higher dose on a specific area - for example they found cancer cells in my husband’s bladder so when he needed salvage RT the programme was written to include the bottom of the bladder. If you had any positive margins, the programme would concentrate on the area where the margin was.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 03:36
Hi Graham,

The title of your post and the question you ask in it raise slightly different aspects. Lyn has answered the latter but as to whether the RT will stop your PSA rising really depends on how well the radiographer has been guided to deliver your RT which will be at and close to the Prostate bed. If it is has spread beyond where the RT is directed, the chance of it being successful is less. Unfortunately, it's a question of following post RT PSA tests. Microscopic cancer cells are unlikely to show on a scan so no help there. Very much hope the RT does the job for you.

Do let us know how it works out.
Barry
User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 16:22

My PSA was 10.8 and I opted for Brachytherapy. I am about 4 months "down the line" and everything has settled down well. Yes, I have ED, my pride and joy has shrunk a bit and my bladder must be the size of an egg cup. I can cope with these side effects. Best bit is PSA is now down to 1.2, so yes, radio therapy can/does reduce PSA levels. When I asked what the target PSA level was I was told "Zero with curative intent".  So in my case  as an old man (76) brachytherapy has proved to be a good alternative to surgery or even EBRT. 

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 16:34

Hope SRT does the job for you.

Ido4