I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Living with anaemia

User
Posted 04 Mar 2019 at 13:47

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer 7-8 years ago and know he is suffering from fractured spine and anemia and has to have blood transfusions every two weeks. I have researched this and found that the cancer can cause these symptoms among others

I would like to know if anyone can help my father with how to manage his symptoms better so he does not have to have blood transfusion fortnightly.

Any help will be most appreciated

User
Posted 04 Mar 2019 at 16:34
Caroline, a bad idea to use your real name on the forum. You have told us nothing about your father's diagnosis or treatment so we cannot advise you! It may be a side effect of treatment that he is experiencing, but cannot say without the background.

AC

User
Posted 04 Mar 2019 at 22:25

Can you let me know what information I need to give so someone can help me with my query please

User
Posted 04 Mar 2019 at 22:37
If you have medical questions, I'd suggest giving the nurses a ring on the Freephone number at the top of the screen. They're all extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Chris

User
Posted 05 Mar 2019 at 10:14
They would not be giving blood transfusions unless the level of anaemia made them essential; he clearly has advance disease, and I cannot imagine any alternative at this stage ... But it would be useful to know where he's losing blood (if he is), whether he'd be fit for surgery (if that would help).

I think it's time you sought a meeting with his consultants and ask them to give you a full account of how serious his condition is, and what the future holds. It will be a difficult interview, maybe even stressful - but I suspect you'd benefit from understanding what they are doing and why.