I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Before or after

User
Posted 05 Mar 2019 at 17:03

I was diagnosed today 5th March after 3 yrs of 6 monthly PSA tests starting at level 10 going down to a 5.5 then back up to a 7, after my last one I was told next was the biopsy or an option of a scan. 

Now I have read a few different conversations on here about the time between biopsy and scan being around 6 weeks due to damage from the biopsy, I opted for the  mri scan first two weeks after I got the results which showed an small area of concern one week later biopsy done and a week later today given the news. Showing as a grade 6 on the scale, it has not affected any lymph nodes but is close to the Seminal Vascule not sure of spelling. So will have to wait for Friday when treatment will be discussed. 

So maybe it is a good idea to ask for the mri scan first rather than wait 6 weeks after a biopsy.

User
Posted 05 Mar 2019 at 17:11
For sure I think mri scan booked and at same time biopsy booked to save time , the biopsy can always be cancelled if nothing picked up on scan , that’s how I was looked after . Can save several weeks .
User
Posted 05 Mar 2019 at 17:13
It isn't that simple. It really depends on which area of the country you live and what the relevant CCG is willing to fund. You can look at the interactive map on this website to see which areas offer what you had, and to what standard.

Personally, I think it is essential to have both tests and it is less important which order they are done as long as both are done.

If having biopsy first, the advice normally is to wait at least 2 weeks before having MRI.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Mar 2019 at 17:24

Luckily the Hospitals in Liverpool are pretty good at first I was supposed to go to the main Hospital but I couldn't make that one so was given another appointment at the Hospital where I was registered with they have a mobile Scanning truck plus a normal fascility.