I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bazza update 07/03

User
Posted 08 Mar 2019 at 16:59

just about to start chemo session 4 of 6 on Monday.

just one thing unnerving me.

all my bloods seem to be consistent and within parameters. my starting PSA was 41.57 which went down to 31.53 which is now down to 27.51. 

However, i was rater hoping for a faster rate of dècline.

can anyone with knowledge throw light on this? im really concerned that it is not much lower and that when chemo finishes, itll start rocketing up and ill be dêad within 6 months.

bazza

User
Posted 09 Mar 2019 at 10:03

Hi Bazza

I don’t think you get dramatic declines in PSA in chemo from memory of John’s experience last year and no one seemed bothered. They were more interested in ALP and LDH which are measures of bone (and i think) muscle damage, these were the only indicators that got anyone bothered. John had an increasing PSA from chemo 6 and that still didn't bother anyone and then after chemo was finished they said to wait two months to see what the real impact had been as the effect continues. I don't know if that helps. John was given Enzalutimde after chemo as his wasn't as successful as hoped but without it, he wouldn't be here to have the enza. Keep fighting on and taking whatever they give you and stay positive as it helps the immune system. Don’t let the bad thoughts take over, you need your immune system to fight these bad boys. Despite everything John has been through over this last few years, he remains generally upbeat because he is still here and so are you. Let those negative thoughts go and think about how you have given this disease a run for its money and still intend to do so.

with love

Devonmaid xxx

Edited by member 09 Mar 2019 at 10:05  | Reason: typos

User
Posted 09 Mar 2019 at 11:56
PSA can’t be used to reliably measure the success of chemo. Chemo fatally wounds the DNA of the cancerous cells so that they can’t replicate - so the impact is often a slowing of the rise in PSA and any drops are a bonus. In some cases, the PSA actually rises during chemo - that is the cells fighting back against the chemo and losing.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Mar 2019 at 17:04

Another possibly unrelated one.

today, my left leg is starting to swell again despite my having daîly Heparin injections. now im worried i might die from a PE. i also have a feeling of fullness in my upper gastric area though have previously suffered from reflux and in the last ten days have consumed 2.8kg, yes, kg of wine gums! 

Edited by member 09 Mar 2019 at 17:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Mar 2019 at 17:12

Have you got a protocol for dealing with the leg Bazza? I mean if it was my hubby i think I’d be ringing out of hours for advice. 

Take care

Devonmaid xxx