I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New to incontinence

User
Posted 09 Mar 2019 at 18:56

Three weeks ago i had robotic prostectic surgery which my  consultant said was sucessful, my cancer was localised and psa level 9. My cahteter was removed about a week ago and i saw the physio a few days ago to discuss incontinence and irrections , but mainly incontinence.

i had been doing pelvic exersizes for about 6 weeks prior to the op and started again as soon as catheter was removed.

My next appointment with Physio is in 5 weeks and i am filling in a bladder control sheet to establish what plan for recovery will be set up and what support i need.

The incontinence is really scary, i dont know what to expect, spurt, drip or flood.

First few days im getting them all, and its making me feel so  low. 90% of my leaks etc happen when im walking (normally 30 minutes a day) or sitting up or down.

i could really do with some feedback from anyone whose gone through this stage of recovery.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2019 at 22:53

J

Very early days so don't get down. Leakage when standing or sitting is common, tense those pelvic muscles before you slowly stand or sit. Can't say I remember leaking when walking. A lot of guys find that being dry at night is the first step to recovery. Avoid caffeine as it may irritate the bladder,drink plenty of water even though it may make you leak, ease off  towards bed time.

Best wishes with your recovery.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 00:16

Hello Johnny boy 

I have zero knowledge of Prostate related illness ,sides effects etc.but thanks to the guys(saints ) on here I learned a lots from them .But because of I don't take the life so seriously I keep forget them advises easly unfortunately. 

Saying that...before the operation back to Last December I was each week consuming a bottle of tequila and other soft Alcohols. 

Endless teas and coffees 

But heyyy guess what?since December into my body systems no Alchol and caffeine related drinks entered. 

After I had RP operation I was just like you incontinence was endless, used to do night time trips to the bathroom for bathroom duties. At least 5- 6 times a  night. 

Each time when I used to get up of the chair or seat etc.it was leaking. Saint Lynn used to say Wear Dark trouses etc.so it was ok.

And guess what I have no problems regarding Bathroom duties day or night time. I'm 100 % dry.

As Just Chris Say it's temporary and stay away from teas,coffee s.

Ohhh I don't know about your sex life but it will improve as well...solution is Kama Sutra:)

Night 

D.R

Edited by member 10 Mar 2019 at 07:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 10:16

As Chris has said, it's early days yet so I am afraid you have to be patient. I found that when standing up from a seated position I tensed the muscles and slowly stood but remained bent forward for a few seconds before slowly straightening up. Then stand still for a few seconds before moving. This improved things over a few weeks until I could manage to stand normally. Walking without leaking took me about 4 months but I found it best not to give in to it but just keep walking. Gradually things improved but I just adopted the attitude that it would not stop me doing all the things I enjoy but I would now be doing them while coping with incontinence. For me this worked. It wasn't always easy but I got there in the end and I am sure that you will too.

It can make you feel that there is something you have done or are not doing that means  you have a problem while others don't but it is generally down to what the surgeon has to do during the op and every op is different.

All the best

Kevan 

User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 10:46
Ref coffee and tea , I finished rt 10 feb , I have been off alcohol for months , not to bothered ,but as for coffee I have been dying for it for months , what’s the verdict on de caf ?? I drink one cup of tea in morning , waterworks controllable , but yesterday went out of comfort zone drank 3 cups over an hour period ( at garden centre with cake ! ) boy did I pay for it an hour or so,later ,urge , back and forward to toilet !!!!! This maybe a small subject ,caffeine but a big one for me .
User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 13:28

Cheers, im only drinking tea/coffee if its decaf, and no spicy foods.....thanks for the reply

User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 13:33

Cheers for the reply, i walk for about half an hour , physio told me that was max for first six weeks' im an impatient bugger and not used to slowing down...i also practice yoga but cant retun to that for several weeks but it helps using the breathing techniques when getting up and down....thanks again

User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 13:36

Thanks Chris, im probably being to impatient, just want to get back to normal, its good to see im not the only  one whose experienced these issues.

cheers

User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 13:39

Thanks for the feedback, sometimes you think your the only bugger going through this,

as for sex wearing a catheter for two weeks then peeing yourself its not been on my radar yet.

cheers

johnny

User
Posted 10 Mar 2019 at 14:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Ref coffee and tea , I finished rt 10 feb , I have been off alcohol for months , not to bothered ,but as for coffee I have been dying for it for months , what’s the verdict on de caf ?? I drink one cup of tea in morning , waterworks controllable , but yesterday went out of comfort zone drank 3 cups over an hour period ( at garden centre with cake ! ) boy did I pay for it an hour or so,later ,urge , back and forward to toilet !!!!! This maybe a small subject ,caffeine but a big one for me .

It isn't usually tea or coffee that causes problems, it is the caffeine. When J was given his diet sheet for RT the strict rule was 'no caffeine for the duration or 2 weeks after' ... he had decaf all the way through and in the end, has never really converted back to the normal stuff. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard