I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Awaiting Robotic surgery... any advice.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2019 at 19:13

hi all, my dad is awaiting robotic surgery in 8 weeks time, he is pretty fit and healthy at 57. Has anyone on here had the surgery and has any advice to recovering any faster/better or good pre op preperations?

we also have a holiday booked 4 weeks after surgery which he is adamant that he wants to go on to relax, in my opinion he should be recovering closer to home. how was everyones recovery after the catheter was removed? 

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions

User
Posted 09 Mar 2019 at 22:41

C

Welcome to the site nobody wants to be on. Download or order the toolkit from the site it contains a wealth of info.

We all recover at different rates, I don't think there is a one fits all solution. I was back at work five weeks post op, 99 percent dry four days post catheter. I did pelvic floor exercises for weeks before my RARP. Keep mobile post op but no running marathons.

Is the holiday in the UK, you don't say how far away you are going, who is doing the driving ? Check with your Dad's insurance company before letting him drive. Dealing with incontinence post op in someone else's accommodation my need a bit of thought. My job involved stopping in hotels, I used Tena 4 pants at night as extra insurance against a leak. Dad needs to listen to his own body and not over do it.

Good that you are looking after him.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 00:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hhhhmm, but I wonder if people like me who never sign out appear to be logged on when we are not?

you may wonder, while l know.  A check off your stats reveals that:

1. you have been online since 1536.

2.  you have made 21 airfix models of scale 1:1.  Why?

3.  you have eaten a significant number of tv meals.

4. You secretly and furtively adore beige crimplene.  On a Thursday.

Apart from those facts , I know nothing, nor does A N Other

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 19:42

Click on the name, then 'view profile' and then 'statistics' - you joined in October 2017, have made 153 posts and last logged on about 7.30 this evening :-)

Edited by member 02 May 2019 at 19:43  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Mar 2019 at 22:41

C

Welcome to the site nobody wants to be on. Download or order the toolkit from the site it contains a wealth of info.

We all recover at different rates, I don't think there is a one fits all solution. I was back at work five weeks post op, 99 percent dry four days post catheter. I did pelvic floor exercises for weeks before my RARP. Keep mobile post op but no running marathons.

Is the holiday in the UK, you don't say how far away you are going, who is doing the driving ? Check with your Dad's insurance company before letting him drive. Dealing with incontinence post op in someone else's accommodation my need a bit of thought. My job involved stopping in hotels, I used Tena 4 pants at night as extra insurance against a leak. Dad needs to listen to his own body and not over do it.

Good that you are looking after him.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Apr 2019 at 20:06

The main preparation I did was to walk at weekends take day off prior to operation 

A week after operation overdid the exercise now taking it easy if tired The  main difficulties were various aches after 4 hour operation  in odd places, made sure I took Movicol/Laxido 4 times a day,and accidentally not closing  off catheter bag

Night of leaving hospital stressful given operation 22 hours previous—very weak/unsteady on feet after spinal anaesthetic Visits by District Nurse reassuring 

User
Posted 30 Apr 2019 at 20:17
In theory a hol after the op is lovely , but I wouldn’t want to be away four weeks post op. I was massively lucky with continence in that I was dry almost immediately on catheter removal. Some people aren’t so lucky and are incontinent for a long long time which must be awful. Even so I had embarrassing dribbling and massive urgency moments for a few months, also a few big bed wettings if I had a few drinks. Also pure blood on occasion if I over-filled my bladder. Don’t want to be negative but be very prepared for these virtually unavoidable issues ok
User
Posted 01 May 2019 at 11:14
4 weeks post op I was still in hospital!!

It's a major operation with potentially life changing complications do not underestimate the impact it may have for several months and possibly years.
User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 09:32
Hi,

If you click on my screen name, ‘Bollinge’, you can see my history and also a link to a diary of my prostatectomy procedure.

I would certainly have been well enough to go on holiday four weeks after my surgery, but of course every man recovers at different rates. The skill of the surgeon, how much has to be removed, the overall fitness and age of the patient and BMI score are just some of the factors in the recovery process.

Best of luck to your Dad.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 15:04
I suppose the first step would be to confirm that his travel insurer would cover him (including for cancellation / curtailment) so soon after major surgery. The second would be to consider whether he would be able to take mattress covers etc with him if needed. The third would be whether the surgeon will confirm in writing that he is fit to travel (if flying ... risk of DVT etc) and whether the destination country will allow him to bring whatever prescribed meds he may still be taking at that point.

There is no way John could have travelled more than a few minutes in a car and he certainly couldn't have sat in an aeroplane seat so soon after surgery but he had open RP which is a bit different.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 17:08
Quite correct as usual Matron, on reflection, at four weeks I would only just have finished my anti-coagulant injections to prevent DVT, so flying and increasing the DVT risk would probably not be recommended.

However, Chloe didn’t say Dad was flying, so maybe a coach trip holiday to Eastbourne for the bath-chair racing Grand Prix would be OK?

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 17:20

Sounds great :-/

Sadly, we may never know as it seems Chloe has never logged back in since her first post so may not have seen any of the replies. 

Edited by member 02 May 2019 at 17:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 18:07

Sadly, we may never know as it seems Chloe has never logged back in since her first post so may not have seen any of the replies. 

Perhaps Dad has had a miracle cure with cannabis oil!

I didn't see the original date, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered to reply.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 19:08

Sounds great :-/

How can you tell if a member has logged on or not if they have not posted?

User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 19:42

Click on the name, then 'view profile' and then 'statistics' - you joined in October 2017, have made 153 posts and last logged on about 7.30 this evening :-)

Edited by member 02 May 2019 at 19:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 23:17

I am not stalking you, I am merely monitoring you specifically individually very closely, yes you.  It's also a  useful tool for keeping tabs on those who pretend not to be here but are often here, just to ensure that they are well.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 00:01
Hhhhmm, but I wonder if people like me who never sign out appear to be logged on when we are not?
User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 00:17

you may wonder, while l know.  A check off your stats reveals that:

1. you have been online since 1536.

2.  you have made 21 airfix models of scale 1:1.  Why?

3.  you have eaten a significant number of tv meals.

4. You secretly and furtively adore beige crimplene.  On a Thursday.

Apart from those facts , I know nothing, nor does A N Other

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 25 May 2019 at 13:18

This no flying bit for some weeks after the operation.

Yet, I am from Northern Ireland and will be operated on next Tuesday, 28 May at Addenbrooks in Cambridge.  Transport arranged by the NHS and I have been booked for flying back on Friday 31st. 

Double standards, or an endorsement of surgical stockings?