Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Updated Blog

User
Posted 12 Mar 2019 at 11:25

Hi all, I've just updated my blog.  

The latest chapter is at https://stewart124.wordpress.com/the-prostate-thing-9-the-longest-february/

It is very much my own experience of my journey through this diagnosis, and I hope it might be helpful to some, informative to a few, or simply reassuringly daft in places for others.

Please read it and if you feel it deserves forwarding to other men "of a certain age" (or younger), then do so.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 12:44
User
Posted 21 May 2019 at 12:15

Stew, love reading the blogs. It’s interesting that we all have different versions of side effects and so it’s great to hear other people’s stories.

I got no side effects from Brachy or RT but the Prostap is another matter. I actually lost weight and I’ve gained some muscle through starting back at the gym. No hot sweats to speak of.

But like some others I’ve suffered in the head. Thank god for counsellors...I had some bad stuff in my childhood which I thought I’d dealt with but oh no the Prostap has caused me to relive it all again. 

My last PSA was 0.2 and next one this week. I have 2 more injections planned before I stop, which will be 2 years worth. So I’m gonna ask my consultant, when I see him in a couple of weeks about stopping at 18 months which means I’ve had my last one already 😊

I can’t wait to get off the HT even though I suppose I’ve been relatively lucky.

Keep up the blogs. Fingers crossed for you on your journey too.

Phil

User
Posted 21 May 2019 at 15:10

"I don’t know if it was something I ate, or some nasty little bug floating around, but for all of the early hours of the Saturday morning I was talking to God on the big white telephone. My ribs were killing me where I’d been retching."

Oh, your turn of phrase - my ribs were killing me from laughing...

User
Posted 21 May 2019 at 16:13

Today I have a little more sympathy, although of course rather like the difference between man-flu and woman-flu, what women go through in menopause can really be no more than a warm-up event (see what I did there?) for the prostate hormone sweats.

I love this phrase , but won’t mention to the wife 😆😆

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 12:44
User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 13:28

Great update. Very amusing in parts. The seriously disruptive nature of some of the side effects is really annoying. If it’s any consolation my SRT has caused leaky bum syndrome for me. It seems to settle down and then randomly reappears at the most inopportune of times. Hope your knee starts to improve and you don’t gather any further acronym medals!

Ido4

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 14:43

Ido4 SRT,

I forgot my radiotherapy medal!!!! 😆

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 15:32

Brilliant! 🤣

Ido4

User
Posted 20 May 2019 at 23:31

Hopefully there are a few people out there who have found my blog helpful, or reassuring, or maybe just simply entertaining... or perhaps pretty rubbish and not at all helpful.

Anyway, however it affects anyone, writing it helps me.  So love it or loathe it, there's another chapter available for you:  https://stewart124.wordpress.com/the-prostate-thing-11-sweating-on-the-sweats/

User
Posted 21 May 2019 at 12:15

Stew, love reading the blogs. It’s interesting that we all have different versions of side effects and so it’s great to hear other people’s stories.

I got no side effects from Brachy or RT but the Prostap is another matter. I actually lost weight and I’ve gained some muscle through starting back at the gym. No hot sweats to speak of.

But like some others I’ve suffered in the head. Thank god for counsellors...I had some bad stuff in my childhood which I thought I’d dealt with but oh no the Prostap has caused me to relive it all again. 

My last PSA was 0.2 and next one this week. I have 2 more injections planned before I stop, which will be 2 years worth. So I’m gonna ask my consultant, when I see him in a couple of weeks about stopping at 18 months which means I’ve had my last one already 😊

I can’t wait to get off the HT even though I suppose I’ve been relatively lucky.

Keep up the blogs. Fingers crossed for you on your journey too.

Phil

User
Posted 21 May 2019 at 15:10

"I don’t know if it was something I ate, or some nasty little bug floating around, but for all of the early hours of the Saturday morning I was talking to God on the big white telephone. My ribs were killing me where I’d been retching."

Oh, your turn of phrase - my ribs were killing me from laughing...

User
Posted 21 May 2019 at 16:13

Today I have a little more sympathy, although of course rather like the difference between man-flu and woman-flu, what women go through in menopause can really be no more than a warm-up event (see what I did there?) for the prostate hormone sweats.

I love this phrase , but won’t mention to the wife 😆😆

User
Posted 21 May 2019 at 17:12

Glad that my literary style is keeping people's spirits up. I can only tell it as I see it, and without some sense of humour it would be a bit of a heavy read.
Had my Prostap jab this morning, I was happy to chat to the nurse about it's effectiveness in suppressing the PSA etc., but also cursing it for another summer of sweats!
Another 12 weeks until the next chapter will be posted. And this one will include a brilliant comedy moment from yesterday evening.

Stewart

Edited by member 21 May 2019 at 17:16  | Reason: I remembered something relevant...

User
Posted 21 May 2019 at 17:24

Good luck with the Consultant. I know one of the lads at our walking footy team was signed off the jabs late last year, and he seems to be physically so much more robust now. 

With my PSA only dropping slowly I'm expecting at least another year, maybe even two, before they are happy with me.

I'm hoping that come August I'll have a score less than 1.