Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cancer spread to the liver?

User
Posted 12 Mar 2019 at 19:04

Hello. 

My Dad has prostate cancer which has been managed with hormone therapy for the last 4 years. He came off of the treatment for a 4 month trial (June until October) and had a blood test which revealed that his PSA had shot up from 2 to 10. He immediately restarted the hormone therapy.

The same blood test revealed that his blood count was low, so Dad was sent for a CT scan and at the same time, was put on iron supplements. The CT scan was performed at the end of November and did not show any evidence for low blood count. He had a blood test at the beginning of January, which showed that the haemoglobin level had improved significantly and it was suggested that this was a result of the iron treatment. The test also reported that the liver function, bone profile and kidney function were all normal and the PSA was 10.3.

Last week Dad was sick and there was blood in it. He went to the GP who arranged an urgent ultrasound. He was called back the next day and we were told there were lesions on the liver, that it was very bad, not good at all, possible spread to the liver, urgent referral. The GPs manner was appalling- but that’s another story. I took the previous paperwork with me and pointed out that the recent CT scan and blood test showed that there were no problems and everything was functioning as it should be. She seemed surprised at this and clearly had not read Dad’s notes before we went in. Our oncologist was contacted, Dad has had a blood test and we see him later this week. 

My question is this: following the CT scan in November and blood test in early January, both of which showed there to be no problems, how in 60 days can there be lesions on the liver, which the GP deems are “very bad.”

We’re all holding our breath. 

Any comments or advice gratefully received. 

User
Posted 12 Mar 2019 at 20:52
If he restarted HT last October and his PSA has risen from 10 to 10.3 while on the hormones, it seems that he may have a castrate resistant prostate cancer that is very active and the tumours may have developed rapidly. The liver function test done in January wouldn't necessarily have flagged up mets in the liver.

Hopefully, the oncologist will suggest adding another hormone to the mix to try to bring the PSA down, and possibly chemo as well.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Mar 2019 at 22:17
Thanks so much for your reply. It’s so helpful to know what questions to ask and now I’ve read up on the CRPC, I feel better equipped should that be the case for Dad.