I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Small blood traces on incontinence pads

User
Posted 13 Mar 2019 at 15:42

Its now 5 weeks since my robotic surgery. All went well and I only had blood in my catheter for a few days. But now 3 weeks after catheter removal I am getting small dark deposits of what I assume is dried blood on my incontinence pads. It didn't happen when I first started using the pads and has really only started since I've had the confidence to go for walks outside of the house (no more than 1.5 miles at a time).  I wonder if anyone else can relate to this? I want to start building up my walking again, particularly to aid the strengthening of the pelvic floor, but I don’t want to upset the formation of scar tissue. Am I doing to much? I’m sorry if this seems trivial.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2019 at 21:09
Good evening Rob,

I can understand your concern, I had similar. Worried it was something becoming detached or bleeding internally. Was told, nothing to worry about, but GP said understandable to be concerned.

But, if you are worried why not have a chat with your GP or GP nurse or surgeons nurse to put your mind at rest? I understand it's quite common. But I would check it out anyway.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2019 at 21:55

Robert

It is quite common to get blood and debris so soon after surgery. If you had done major damage to the joint you would probably feel quite unwell.

As already said if in doubt get it checked out, perhaps worth getting the urine tested just in case it is the start of an infection.

Are you also doing pelvic floor exercises ?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Mar 2019 at 23:21

Hi, I don't know how much dried blood there is.  But if it's not much I'd rest a couple of days then do shorter walks to see if it returns and build up from there.  It seems like something hasn't healed. It could be it will need more investigation perhaps an ultrasound,  but I'd try resting and testing.

I'm only saying what I'd do from what I've read. Hope it sorts out.

Regards Peter

User
Posted 14 Mar 2019 at 08:59

Big thanks to Dave, Chris and Peter for your encouragement and helpful comments. After I’d posted the above I phoned the Urology nurse and she said that I shouldn't worry, what I described does happen and isn't likely to be a problem but to contact her if it gets worse. My issue is with avoiding compromising the recovery of my bladder control. The balance between resting to help the healing process and walking to practice pelvic floor control. The incontinence was a big shock at first but I'm now starting to get the hang of  how deal with it, but I think it will be quite some time before I can give up the pads.   Bob

User
Posted 14 Mar 2019 at 10:21

Often you're dry at night first.  Then every few days you notice you're dry longer.   Walking can bring slow seepage you're unaware of.

The first time I went on a longish walk my pad couldn't cope after a mile and I didn't realise till I was quite wet.  We had to put a plastic bag on the car seat. I always carried a spare after that.

It took 4 months to be almost dry, but I wore a pad for 6 months as it would sometimes leak a little if I coughed or bent down.  I've never been good doing pelvic exercises but it does help.

The next thing was a residue after I fastened up after the loo. You'd feel a few drips, it took a while to learn how to take precautions. Apparently it's common but hardly mentioned.

Edited by member 14 Mar 2019 at 10:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Mar 2019 at 12:46
I resolved my postoperative ‘old blood’ issues weeks after my operation by checking the state of the numerous laparoscopic punctures on my abdomen.

If they are still healing, you can logically expect your innards to be healing at a similar rate after surgery.

I hope everything works out OK.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 14 Mar 2019 at 13:04

I've decided to avoid long walks for the rest of the week to see if it makes any difference to the deposits. This morning it just looked like sediment from the bottom of a wine bottle. So, fingers crossed.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Peter.  I suppose if its only 4 months its  worth putting up with, especially compared with what might have been.  I've not had leakages at night at all  but wake up 2 or 3 times to visit the bathroom and now manage the few steps without major mishap. My problem is when I'm vertical for more than a couple of minutes. If I leave the house for more than twenty minutes I take a spare pad and pants just in case. Hopefully the pelvic floor exercises will get more effective.

One upside is that my nocturnal visits are now over quickly, unlike the years of BPH before my operation when I stood for ages waiting for something to happen and was then wide awake. So, I like to think that my glass is half full rather than half empty, if you’ll excuse the pun.   Bob

User
Posted 14 Mar 2019 at 13:08

Thanks John. My 'bullet holes' are looking pretty good so hopefully the stuff inside should be progressing in a similar way.   Bob

User
Posted 14 Mar 2019 at 17:04
As the yoof would say "Welks".

Good to hear you've been reassured Robert,

Something else to consider, the pelvic floor exercises. Don't work for everyone. I think in my case they did more harm than good. It's all in my profile about how I dealt with Post Op leaking, but, in a nutshell, I did my own thing. And it worked for me. Dry within 6 months or so. The PFEs knackered me and did not seem to have any effect, so I ditched them. Still got dry.

The oft repeated suggestion here and elsewhere that you should avoid coffee and alcohol, LOL, did my own thing, worked for me. I drank and drank coffee and alcohol, and it seems to have done me no harm.

There are many rules of thumb, general assumptions about recovery issues, they do not necessarily apply.

Keep your faith, there is no reason why the progress you are making now, should not continue, at your body's own rate.

good luck

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 18:04

Thanks for your advice Dave.

I do still need a couple of cups of fresh coffee mid-morning to get me going and it always guarantees I don’t have the dreaded constipation.

With regard to pelvic floor exercises, now that I've discovered how to do them, I'm finding their starting to have an effect so I'm going to keep them up.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Bob

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 18:14
Hi Bob,

Good that the PFEs are working for you.

:-) I don't do advice, just thoughts/things to consider. Hope you'll keep updating your progress, always nice to read good news.

Have a great weekend.

dave

I am the statistic.