Show search

Notification

Error

Mutate to Small Cell Cancer

User
Posted 14 Mar 2019 at 21:51

Just a quick one 
Open to anybody 
Can prostate cancer after a period of say five years mutate to small cell cancer

Barry

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 10:11
Sorry to hear this, Barry. It may be that he had small cell right from the start but it wasn’t recognised until too late. If it had been identified at diagnosis he would not have been put on HT, I think. Alternatively, a new small cell carcinoma could have developed in the healthy prostate tissue that remained after the radiotherapy.

Small cell carcinoma of the prostate is still extremely rare.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Mar 2019 at 02:43
Shireen's husband! oh no - that is so sad and his daughter is still only young.

If I find her old thread I will send a message.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 21:49
Good luck Barry

Bri

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Mar 2019 at 22:10
Yes - well technically no ... it doesn't mutate because they are completely different cancers. What actually happens is that either there was always an element of small cell but it only emerges later or a small cell cancer can develop alongside the original adenocarcinoma. That was what happened to Mo's husband Mick and is probably what happened to Stan.

Why?

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 06:43

Lyn,

I have just lost a friend , we both started RT about the same time , 6 years later the cancer had spread , we both elected for six sessons of chemo then lifetime on Prostap , his and my PSA tests keep coming back at Zero , 
He became unwell at Xmas and lost his fight this month, and I am sure his poor wife told me that his cancer had changed to small cell

Barry

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 10:11
Sorry to hear this, Barry. It may be that he had small cell right from the start but it wasn’t recognised until too late. If it had been identified at diagnosis he would not have been put on HT, I think. Alternatively, a new small cell carcinoma could have developed in the healthy prostate tissue that remained after the radiotherapy.

Small cell carcinoma of the prostate is still extremely rare.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 20:52

Hi Lyn 
 Radio Therapy underway by Henry Sharpe
He was on the old forum 
under STF started Page 5

Barry

User
Posted 16 Mar 2019 at 02:43
Shireen's husband! oh no - that is so sad and his daughter is still only young.

If I find her old thread I will send a message.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 20:28

Squeaky Bum Time  tomorrow 
Go every here months Psa 0.004 , But My cancer has recurred 21 months ago ,fingers crossed 

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 21:13

Do You know I have forgotten how to post , Need some advice , But still SBT tomorrow

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 21:49
Good luck Barry

Bri

User
Posted 18 Jun 2019 at 20:57

What news Barry?