I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Small bulge above my navel

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 07:05

This may seem very trivial compared to some of the problems reported on the forum, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

My robotic prostatectomy was last August and I came away with what I suppose are the usual 6 scars.  The op went smoothly and I appear to have recovered well.  My PSA is down to 0.056.

I noticed after surgery that the scar above my navel formed an odd little tuck or fold.  At the time, I'd lost a bit of weight. 6 months later, weight back on, that fold has unfolded and I have a soft, puffy-textured bulge there. It doesn't hurt to the touch. It feels like there is a gap between my flesh and the stomach wall. It does briefly get hard if I exert pressure - by coughing or when I pee.

I showed it to my doctor and he said it was nothing to worry about.

So, just a temporary post-op thing?

User
Posted 16 Mar 2019 at 00:39
It sounds like a small hernia - they are a common side effect of keyhole RP, particularly in men who overdo things a bit in the recovery period. If it gets bigger over time or you start to have any discomfort the GP should refer you to the hospital for an assessment. If they cause problems or pain, hernias can be repaired with surgery.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Mar 2019 at 03:58
I still have some scar tissue above my navel following my surgery last June. That is the big hole through which they extract the prostate sealed in a plastic bag.

It is about an inch and a half long, and feels harder to the touch than the surrounding area. You probably have something similar. I was ‘lucky’ enough to have had seven perforations, and the scars, apart from that big one, have virtually disappeared.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2019 at 00:14
Sounds like your GP has it covered, show the urologist next time you have follow up?
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Mar 2019 at 00:14
Sounds like your GP has it covered, show the urologist next time you have follow up?
User
Posted 16 Mar 2019 at 00:39
It sounds like a small hernia - they are a common side effect of keyhole RP, particularly in men who overdo things a bit in the recovery period. If it gets bigger over time or you start to have any discomfort the GP should refer you to the hospital for an assessment. If they cause problems or pain, hernias can be repaired with surgery.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Mar 2019 at 03:58
I still have some scar tissue above my navel following my surgery last June. That is the big hole through which they extract the prostate sealed in a plastic bag.

It is about an inch and a half long, and feels harder to the touch than the surrounding area. You probably have something similar. I was ‘lucky’ enough to have had seven perforations, and the scars, apart from that big one, have virtually disappeared.

Cheers, John.