I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

BPH for 15yrs

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 11:07

Ive had BPH for at least 15yrs and in the last 3wks had to have a catheter inserted. Ive had lots of tests at the Urology Dept and yesterday had a cystometrogram which was inconclusive. I have been told my prostates IS enlarged but the NHS seems very reluctant to refer me for a TURP or similar op! Why are they reluctant? I am thinking of spending my last savings on going private. Any advice welcome.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 14:46
Are you very overweight? Do you have heart problems or other conditions that would make a general anaesthetic risky?

Do you have regular PSA tests? If so, does your PSA level stay consistent? Have you ever had tests to rule out prostate cancer?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 15:01

I have never been overweight and was playing 2hrs badminton and doing Yoga 3 wks ago until I had the catheter put in. I am 72 and the doc once said I had the heart of an athelete. No sign of prostate cancer. I cant understand why my Urology team are reluctant to send me for a Turp op!

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 15:55
No, nor can I. Have you asked them to explain? In writing?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Mar 2019 at 19:00
will do thanks next week