As the conversation title for this post reads, my Dad was diagnosed today with prostate cancer and my family as you can imagine is at a disbelief. Obviously when we heard the news we were in shock but now that the news has settled in my Dad is determined to fight this and we are determined to be there with him along the entire process to beat this cancer!
Here is a little background on my Dad, he just turned 62 in February and has always been athletic and continues to live an active lifestyle. He went for a DRE in January where the doctor noticed that his prostate was enlarged. The doctor then ordered a blood test which came back with a PSA of 24.2 with free 5.6. The doctor then ordered a biopsy which confirmed our worst fears of cancer being present in my Dads prostate.
The biopsy shows that they took 6 tissue samples from my Dads prostate...? Part A: Right Mid, Part B: Right Base, Part C: Right Apex, Part D: Left Mid, Part E: Left Base, Part F: Left Apex. We live in the United States so I dont know if the testing differs from how its done in the wonderful UK. Anyways, all 6 samples came back with a Gleason score of (4+3) 7 and it appears that the Part D (Left Mid) and Part F (Left Apex) were found to have Perineurial Invasion (PNI). The other 4 samples there was no PNI identified.
Now the urologist that conducted the biopsy wasn't very much help and I could tell he was getting annoyed at all the questions my Mother and Father (my Dad and Mom do not speak very good english so I was helping translate) were asking, Im wondering what the outlook may be and what options we have as far as treatment? My Dad will be getting a CT Scan/Bone imagine done in the next week in hopes that the cancer has not spread outside of the prostate. Once the scans come back the doctor said there are two main options. Either surgery to remove the prostate or radiation with some hormone treatment.
To wrap up, my questions are.....is there anyway I can find my Dads "T" score? Id like to do a bit more research on what that exactly means. Also, based on the results Ive shared, is the outlook looking promising or should we just wait to see what the CT scan results tell us? Last but not least, how can I help my Dad through this? So far he's pretty optimistic and in good spirits and says he will continue to live his normal active lifestyle.
Thank you guys and gals so much for reading my post (Sorry its kind of long). Much love and good vibes to all on here <3