I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Study on role of HT with SRT

User
Posted 20 Mar 2019 at 10:19

Interesting article on whether ADT is beneficial alonside salvage radiotherapy after prostatectomy.

No real advantage for patients with low risk factors but very beneficial for those with high risk factors. 

Report on ADT with SRT

Ido4

User
Posted 21 Mar 2019 at 06:51
Thanks - it does seem we have had a couple more members recently who were offered SRT without hormone therapy.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Mar 2019 at 13:23

An interesting paper.  I'm due to finish bicalutimide in August 2018, 18 months of treatment in total.  In all honesty, I don't want to continue beyond this.  

As I was pT3b and Gleason 9, I have two of their risk factors.  My very low PSA of 0.023 doesn't meet their >0.5 criterion.  But I do wonder if I at least should challenge the oncologist in August about not continuing for 36 months.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 21 Mar 2019 at 15:52
Other studies specifically on 18mth v 36 mth HT have found no difference in outcomes, including "high risk" cases.
User
Posted 21 Mar 2019 at 16:32

francij1

I've read some of those studies which gave me a sense of relief that coming off HT at 18 months was a sensible strategy and was reconciled to that.  Nevertheless, there always is a sense of 'what if'.  Part of me wants to stop the HT in August so we can see whether my exceptionally low PSA is down to the SRT or not.  In other words, is HT artificially suppressing my PSA and will it start to rise some time after stopping?

In any case, my oncologist wasn't even going to combine HT with my SRT at first.  I had to fight a bit for that.  I'm glad I did, but I must admit to hating bicalutimide, and that's supposedly the easy HT!

Ulsterman

User
Posted 21 Mar 2019 at 16:49

My Oncologist convinced me to delay HR for as long as possible after finishing SRT because her opinion is that the longer HR is administered, then the shorter the patient is in respite before the cancer cells regroup and find a way of beating the HR. I am now 16 months post SRT and today I had a PSA blood test which hopefully will still be less than 0.1 when I see the Urologist in early April.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2019 at 08:47

ulsterman I seem to remember your oncologist didn't want you to have ART - until you had the scan, at least you know she won't over treat!  

User
Posted 22 Mar 2019 at 10:11

You are correct, francij1 - she won't over treat but I don't want her to under treat either!!!