I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

problem following brachytherapy

User
Posted 22 Mar 2019 at 13:38

Approx 5 years ago I had low dose seed brachytherapy at the Royal Surrey hospital.

For 4.5 years my recovery appeared to be normal following the same route as many others posting on this forum.

Approx 6 months ago everything seemed to have changed .

Many times ( especially during the day ) I have an urgent desire to pee. Also the frequency to need to pee (especially during the night ) is out of control . Most nights I need to go every half to three quarters of an hour meaning I get very little sleep.

I am awaiting tests but would be interested to hear from anyone what the problem might be , and if anyone has had the same problem what the possible solution may be.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2019 at 14:57
Radiation cystitis? Have you tried drinking pure cranberry juice?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Mar 2019 at 16:30

Bladder irritation, certainly. The symptoms described are precisely what I'm currently experiencing nearing the end of my RT. I'm told it's due to the radiation irritating my bladder and that, in my case, it should ease off within a few weeks of RT ending. There are many other causes of bladder irritation, though, so we perhaps shouldn't jump to the conclusion that this particular case is radiation related.

My oncologist has prescribed tablets called ”Vesicare” to help the symptoms. Might be worth asking your GP if they’d be helpful for you.

Chris

Edited by member 22 Mar 2019 at 18:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Mar 2019 at 18:44

I had Brachy in Oct 2018. I had the same symptoms in Jan 2019, the doc gave me some pills that sorted it out.

However, is 5 years on a long time to still have radiation cystitis?  Or maybe it's cystitis from another cause?

Cranberry juice made mine worse.

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 26 Mar 2019 at 19:23

Thanks for the replies.

The Royal Surrey are doing their level best to find the problem.

On 8/2 I had a flexible cystoscopy , on 17/2 I had CT urogram and on 10/4 I will be having a TURBT ( Transurethral resection Of bladder tumor )

The cysoscopy had revealed dead skin and "slough "

During the TURBT they remove this and analyse for being benign or cancerous.

I will keep my fingers crossed

User
Posted 26 Mar 2019 at 22:49
Presumably it’s this necrotic material that’s irritating the bladder and producing the symptoms. Fingers crossed that when it’s removed things will settle down. Having to go to the loo every hour through the night is exhausting - I know that from personal experience.

Hope things work out ok for you,

Chris