I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MRI + One Stop Biopsy Clinic

User
Posted 23 Mar 2019 at 13:39

Hi to all, from Plymouth UK. I had an MRI Scan last week on 14 March followed by a One Stop Biospy Clinic on Tuesday 2 April. I am booked to take my family on holiday to Tenerife on 12  April. Do I cancel our holiday or not. My family are worried infections I might get from swimming at the beach or in the pool etc. I am beaching loving water sports,mol person as are all my family. I am in my 70th year and with enlarged  Prostate. Following  a recent PSA of 8.7 I was referred to Plymouth Urology. I wont know my results of the MRI until I go on 2 April. Any thoughts welcomed.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2019 at 13:39

Hi to all, from Plymouth UK. I had an MRI Scan last week on 14 March followed by a One Stop Biospy Clinic on Tuesday 2 April. I am booked to take my family on holiday to Tenerife on 12  April. Do I cancel our holiday or not. My family are worried infections I might get from swimming at the beach or in the pool etc. I am beaching loving water sports,mol person as are all my family. I am in my 70th year and with enlarged  Prostate. Following  a recent PSA of 8.7 I was referred to Plymouth Urology. I wont know my results of the MRI until I go on 2 April. Any thoughts welcomed.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2019 at 16:34
Off you go on your hols Geoffers!

Whatever the result of your biopsy, any treatment, if necessary would not be of the utmost urgency as most prostate cancers are slow growing.

You are no more prone to infection if you have or have not got cancer, and it would make no difference to your outcome in the end.

Enjoy the trip.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2019 at 16:36
Of course you can go and enjoy your holiday - let your insurer know what is happening though
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Mar 2019 at 01:35
Looks like you will be having a TRUS biopsy via your rectum, with around twelve pin-prick perforations through your bowel wall, so you will have no external wounds liable to infection.

You might still have rosé urine and strawberry semen, though, just keep flushing it all out.

Pack your bucket and spade!

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Mar 2019 at 16:34
Off you go on your hols Geoffers!

Whatever the result of your biopsy, any treatment, if necessary would not be of the utmost urgency as most prostate cancers are slow growing.

You are no more prone to infection if you have or have not got cancer, and it would make no difference to your outcome in the end.

Enjoy the trip.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2019 at 16:36
Of course you can go and enjoy your holiday - let your insurer know what is happening though
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Mar 2019 at 21:24

I think you're really asking if the biopsy wound is likely to be infected in the sea.

From what I recall from nearly 3yrs ago there was a warning about infection soon after the biopsy. I think 48hrs.   Assuming it was a simple biopsy, not a template which penetrates the skin.   

I'd go although I would question anything that presses on the prostate like cycling, although someone else might know more about that.

Prostate Cancer added about £40 to my annual holiday insurance. I've not covered it so it costs no extra.

I had a 4 week holiday with 48hrs of flying 8 weeks after my prostatectomy with no problems at all. For such surgery 6 weeks seems to be a cautious time.

Edited by member 23 Mar 2019 at 21:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Mar 2019 at 01:35
Looks like you will be having a TRUS biopsy via your rectum, with around twelve pin-prick perforations through your bowel wall, so you will have no external wounds liable to infection.

You might still have rosé urine and strawberry semen, though, just keep flushing it all out.

Pack your bucket and spade!

Cheers, John.