Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What to expect with advanced st 4 prostate cancer

User
Posted 25 Mar 2019 at 06:45

Hello. I just joined this site.

My best friend was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer 2 1/2 yrs ago. He did well all that time until about a month ago, when all numbers jumped. He had first chemo treatment 2 wks ago, and caught flu strain A last week. Hospital 5 days, now home. 

I assume he won't be getting next appointed chemo Apr 2, as he's very ill still.

He's frightened. He has several friends helping with caregiving but he lives alone. I'm available 24/7, but don't live there, and know my limits fairly well. 

I'm mostly wondering what to expect as his cancer progresses. His oncologist said a lot of pain...to him!...very harsh.

I will miss him terribly, and have felt a deep conne tion as i have sat with him recently,  knowing this time is precious. But it's still so hard to believe.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2019 at 02:28
Hi Annie, I’m sorry to hear about your friend. My husband was diagnosed in November 2018. Yes, it is very hard to come to terms with it all. It’s very hard for your friend to be told to expect lots of pain. I’m fairly new here and don’t know how things work but I wonder if your friend could be getting some hospice care in respect of the pain, especially as he lives alone.
Best wishes
Betty
User
Posted 29 Mar 2019 at 05:20

Thank you for your response. I am indeed looking into Hospice and also palliative care through his dr at Kaiser.

Thinking of you, too. Hoping for the best possible!!

User
Posted 29 Mar 2019 at 08:07

Good morning 

What a wonderful friend (person) you are.

Every body needs a good friend like you.

What you are doing supporting your friend is so priceless. 

Im really sorry about your friend but surely your friend can get help through Age UK or from some kind of hospice  soon.

Hope karma works for you .

Good luck to you and your best friend. 

D.R 

Ps.I wish that I have a friend like you.