I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA down to 1 from 38 after 3 months hormone therapy

User
Posted 25 Mar 2019 at 23:04

Is this as good a result as it appears to be?

Partner diagnosed early January 2019 with PSA 38 and Gleason 5 + 4.

Unable to have MRI because of pacemaker but had a CT scan which showed slight enlargement (6mm) in 2 lymph nodes. Bone scan clear.

Started on oral hormone therapy in early January followed by Prostap monthly injections (has had 2).

Is due to start chemotherapy (18 weeks) any day followed by a short break and then 8 weeks radiotherapy.

Today PSA was 1. 

Do any of you have any thoughts on any of this? It’s all pretty scary stuff for us.

Thank you x

User
Posted 26 Mar 2019 at 07:21
Hi this sounds very similar outcome to my OH ,his became undetectable after about the second chemo .

He is now over 3 years from diagnosis and it remains undetectable. Ask away if you need any more info ,plenty of help on this site .

Best wishes

Debby .

User
Posted 26 Mar 2019 at 07:38

Thanks Debby. I see Gary’s initial diagnosis was similar to Jonathan’s so that’s reassuring to hear. 

Chemo has been slightly delayed as J needs some dental work completing first, but he’s been told not to worry about the delay. 

He’s terrified by the thought of chemo and is relieved to get a delay. on the other hand the delay just adds to my own anxiety.

PSA down to 1 has to  be good news though. doesn’t it??

User
Posted 26 Mar 2019 at 09:00
PSA at 1 is great ,as to chemo Gary was very luck and continued to work all the way through it .He did suffer from fatigue,but just listened to his body and rested when needed.

He only lost body hair with head hair only thinning slightly ,maybe once the chemo has started hopefully J will have similar response.

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 26 Mar 2019 at 15:33
I had 6 cycles of docetaxel chemo 3 years ago, with no significant problems. I lost a little bit of hair which then grew back again. Try not to worrry and good luck with everything. And PSA down to 1 is excellent!
User
Posted 26 Mar 2019 at 16:38

Thank you - and good luck to you too