I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dry in the day?

User
Posted 28 Mar 2019 at 16:34

I am a fit 72 yr. old and was diagnosed with Prostate  Cancer in September 2018 PSA 7.9. Gleason 3+3. MRI T2c NO. 

I was offered active surveillance but decided to go for surgery! I had a Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy Laparoscopic in December. Catheter was removed on December 31st. 

I recovered well from surgery and received outstanding treatment at The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. I am just now 3 months post catheter and am dry throughout the night - usually get up once! If I am fairly passive during the day I can be dry throughout the day - but mornings are best!

I am a keen gardener and a keen walker - regularly do 4 miles most days. This is where my problem lies!! I'm not

always aware  that I am urinating when doing physical work. I am doing my pelvic floor exercises regularly! Any guidance or advice gratefully received. Thanks!

User
Posted 28 Mar 2019 at 20:33
Sounds perfectly normal. After surgery, your brain has to relearn bladder control in the same way as when you were a toddler being potty trained; at first it takes a lot of concentration and as soon as you are distracted, the brain fails to recognise the signals. Over time, it will become sub-conscious and then unconscious control.

The fact that you are dry at night and also when not preoccupied suggests that there is no mechanical problem.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard