Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

CHEMO & ZOLODOX

User
Posted 02 Apr 2019 at 12:01

Dear All,

chemotherapy and zolodax injection psa down to how many years . PSA is up it doesnot mean that cancer is back ????? how can we know that cancer is back in body.

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 02 Apr 2019 at 12:21
Your Dad has metastatic cancer. It cannot be cured. The cancer cannot be "back" because it's never gone away.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2019 at 10:29
Dear Chris,

PSA up what is mean that can you tell me ?

regards,

Bose

User
Posted 03 Apr 2019 at 10:39

These treatments reduce the cancer but cannot get rid of it

Over time they become less effective which means it starts growing again

Further treatments are added until they stop working

Then it is palliative care such as painkillers

User
Posted 03 Apr 2019 at 11:08

DEAR PROSTATE PETE,

One thing more diabetic effect cancer .rise in blood sugar increase cancer. if psa is 0.26 then in next test psa is 0.45 it means re occurrence of cancer.

Regards,

Bose

Edited by member 03 Apr 2019 at 11:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Apr 2019 at 12:18

Hormone therapy increases chances of diabetes.
Good diet and exercise and keeping BMI in ideal range are the best way to avoid this.
Sometimes, metformin is given.

Increase in PSA can mean cancer is more active. What people tend to look at is the time it takes for the value to double, rather than the absolute numbers. You didn't say what the time between those readings was. As ProstatePete said, at some point, it will be necessary to add more treatments as the current ones stop working, but they may delay that as long as possible, so the new treatments will then work for as long as possible.

However, you also mention chemotherapy, and that raises PSA because (hopefully) it's killing the cancer. I didn't understand your first message as to weather chemo is recent or years ago.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2019 at 13:27

Dear Andy,

Thanks for your reply smile 

My father age is 58  march 2018 he was diagnosed with prostate cancer with psa 640. spread in spine and neck and bunch of cancer cells press spine but my father is able to walk with painkillers treatment zolodax injection and chemotherapy after 6 round of psa down 640 to 0.026 (finish in august 2018). but after chemo my father is unable to walk due to nerve damage jan month psa 0.26 and now april month 2019 psa is 0.19 little bit walking with support and sugar value 7.9 . 1).my question is how to control diabetic . 2 ). can my father spend normal life in stage 4 cancer without pain treatment work for how many years . pls tell me 

regards,

Bose

User
Posted 03 Apr 2019 at 15:29

Bose,

1) 7.9 doesn't mean a lot without knowing if it was a fasting test (not eaten for 12+ hours), or a test 2 hours after a meal. As a fasting test, it is just about classed as T2 diabetes. If it's a measure 2 hours after a meal, it would be classed as pre-diabetes. It's not a very high level and can probably be treated with diet and possibly metformin, but you need to consult a diabetes healthcare professional. My knowledge is limited through having a family member who was diabetic for some years, but this isn't a diabetes forum, and if the info I gave you isn't correct, there may well be no one here to say so - you should seek help on diabetes from a relevant healthcare professional. If your dad is diabetic, there are other things that should be done too, such as retinal eye checks, checks for injuries to hands/legs/feet which can go bad before they get noticed, good professional nail grooming (feet in particular), always wearing footware to protect feet, etc.

While my relative had diabetes, I used to test myself periodically because it's well known for running in families. I now test myself monthly again since I started on HT, with that being known to be a significant risk factor.

2) None of us will know anywhere near enough about your father's case to answer this. Even your oncologist with access to all your father's medical data could only give you a very wide guess, even if they're willing to do so at all. Some people manage with metastatic cancer well over 10 years on hormone therapy. Nerve damage due to things like pressure can continue improving for months after removing the pressure - it doesn't usually fix itself instantly.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2019 at 21:22
Bose, we have tried to explain this to you many times. Your dad was diagnosed with very advanced prostate cancer and is not likely to live for many years, although no-one can tell you how long he has. He lives in a country where not all the treatments offered in the UK will be available to him, partly because some costs thousands of pounds each month.

The rise in his PSA is unlikely to be as a result of the chemotherapy, because that was a long time ago. It might just be a random blip but it may be that the Zoladex is failing. The doctors might want to see what happens with the next PSA and the one after that. If the Zoladex has stopped working, the doctors may suggest adding another hormone for a while or they may say to stop treatment and just have painkillers.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Apr 2019 at 18:53

Bose,

Is your father under the care of a hospital/oncologist, or are you organising his treatment yourself?

User
Posted 04 Apr 2019 at 19:50
He has an oncologist
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Apr 2019 at 21:07

... to whom Bose should be addressing these questions, not to us. 

User
Posted 04 Apr 2019 at 21:40
Why are you being so hard on him? It must be terrible to live a long way away and not have access to the quality of information we get in the UK, never mind having to ask questions and understand answers in a second language.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2019 at 22:04

I’m not being hard on him, Lyn. I am doing my best to advise him that the best source of information about his dad’s condition is the oncologist who’s responsible for his treatment, not a bunch of amateurs like us.

Edited by member 04 Apr 2019 at 22:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Apr 2019 at 22:57
I don't think he lives near his dad - I seem to remember when he first joined, he said his dad lived in India and he lived somewhere else entirely :-/

User
Posted 05 Apr 2019 at 03:49
Seems to be lack of communication between Dad, his Oncologist and Bose.
Barry
User
Posted 06 Apr 2019 at 12:09
Dear Cheshire Chris, Lyn Eyre and Old Barry,

Thanks for your support . I am living with my Dad in India.

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 06 Apr 2019 at 12:28
Bose, if you're living with your Dad, why aren't you asking his oncologist these question? He really is far more knowledgeable than we are!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Apr 2019 at 13:07
Dear Chris,

Actually , after 6 th & Last chemo (august 2018) . my father is unable to walk for 5 months due to nerves damage and hospital is very far from my house But now little bit he gain his mobility but there is pain in shoulder but it is bearable current psa 0.19 may be well controlled , next appointment is 8 - jan -2019. few month back he was complaining of back pain now there is no back pain but shoulder pain is started .

regards,

Bose