I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Psa 63

User
Posted 03 Apr 2019 at 00:56

Firstly I am so grateful that I have found a group that I can chat to and read about other people's experiences.  Just by reading through your questions , replies and experiences I already feel a heavy weight has been lifted.  

My dad was diagnosed last week with prostate cancer,  psa 63 T2/3 . He had his bone scan yesterday and has his ct scan tomorrow then biopsy next week . 

Reading through all your experiences has given me a better understanding of the medical terminology. I will keep you posted of the results.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2019 at 13:12
Nice one bonnie lass.

Just keep your dad positive and if you can join a prostate cancer network group.

We have a good group at our local Maggies Centre.

I was diagnosed 2.5 years ago with a psa 72.5 and am doing great.

Once diagnosed, everything happens very quickly - bone scan, MRI, biopsy.

Once the consultants have all the scans, they will work out a treatment regime and tailor it for your dad.

All the very best wishes!

User
Posted 08 Apr 2019 at 14:13

Bonnie Lass,

Trying to understand what you know about his case - your numbers are similar to mine at diagnosis.

On what basis was your dad diagnosed, since you still seem to have a number of the standard diagnostic procedures to go through?

PSA alone is not sufficient to diagnose PC (well, not unless it's much higher), yet you somehow seem to already know it's stage T2/3.

Has your dad been started on hormone therapy or any other treatment?

Anyway, also wishing you all the best. You will get good knowledge and support from this group.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2019 at 14:23
It may have been diagnosed from the DRE, particularly as it is already considered to be a possible T3?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Apr 2019 at 16:57

Hi all, thank you for your replies I really do appreciate it! Andy 62, I'm going by what the consultant has wrote in his letter,  we're still trying to get a better  understanding about everything. Dad had his bone scan last Tuesday and ct scan the next day. He has his biopsy Wednesday and the results two weeks later. He has to start his medication after his biopsy. 

Once again many thanks.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2019 at 17:26

I'll repeat same advice I gave in another thread recently...

If you want more info about his case before the next consultation, or to understand what's already known and the basis on which decisions were made, try contacting the MacMillan nurses at the hospital. They have access to his records, and can explain what's been done, why, and what comes next, and can probably spend more time doing so that the consultant. I have found them very useful for this. I have even dropped in unannounced and they've always seen me (sometimes with a wait because they're with another patient), but better if you can call and make an appointment.

You (or your father) may have already been introduced to them. My hospital seems to have a rule that they must be present in the consultation when you are told you have cancer, and they continue it with you after the consultant appointment finishes.