I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pathology after Turp

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 14:46

Consultant sent me for biopsy because of family history and prostate felt irregular. I had a biopsy in Nov 18 which was negative but a-typical cells found. MRI was clear and PSA normal so not sent for repeat biopsy. However it was found I needed TURP due to retention and nocturia and consultant said they would do pathology on what was taken away. I had TURP on 21 March, all went well and consultant said I had a normal size prostate but it was occlusive and needed TURP. He said he would see me in clinic in 3 months and my discharge letter confirmed I was to be seen in clinic in 3 months. However, today I got a letter asking me to go see him in 2 weeks time (that will be 5 weeks post surgery). Kind of thinking that it means they may have found something when the pathology was done. Has anyone had any similar experience? TIA.

Edited by member 13 Apr 2019 at 21:40  | Reason: Correct typos

User
Posted 14 Apr 2019 at 00:43
It often happens, you need the full pathology to decide what next. If it's just a bit of G6 probably active surveillance.
User
Posted 14 Apr 2019 at 05:52
It is unfortunate that they make you wait and worry in these situations. You inevitably fear the worst.

I had a long wait to get my post-prostatectomy pathology results, firstly because the path lab was short-staffed and didn't even look at the slides for a month, and secondly once the results were known, no-one would tell me them because my surgeon was gallivanting around the world operating in Jamaica, Korea and India.

I eventually got the results via an access to records request. They revealed I had had prostate cancer and that it had been removed. Why couldn’t someone else tell me that over the phone?

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Apr 2019 at 00:43
It often happens, you need the full pathology to decide what next. If it's just a bit of G6 probably active surveillance.
User
Posted 14 Apr 2019 at 05:52
It is unfortunate that they make you wait and worry in these situations. You inevitably fear the worst.

I had a long wait to get my post-prostatectomy pathology results, firstly because the path lab was short-staffed and didn't even look at the slides for a month, and secondly once the results were known, no-one would tell me them because my surgeon was gallivanting around the world operating in Jamaica, Korea and India.

I eventually got the results via an access to records request. They revealed I had had prostate cancer and that it had been removed. Why couldn’t someone else tell me that over the phone?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2019 at 09:56

The wait is the worst part but I guess for 2 weeks I just have to put up with it. I have resigned myself to the fact that I probably have PC as I can't see why else they would want to see me nearly 2 months earlier than planned. 

User
Posted 14 Apr 2019 at 16:38
Don’t make assumptions, Steve. It could be nothing more sinister than another patient having cancelled an appointment.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 14 Apr 2019 at 18:30

It would be nice if it was Chris but normal follow up is 3 months to allow time to heal. I will find out in a couple of weeks.